Does Meraki firewall support floating static routing?

qin
New here

Does Meraki firewall support floating static routing?

Does Meraki firewall support floating static routing? Support policy routing? Who can tell me?

6 REPLIES 6
MerakiJockey505
Building a reputation

The short answer is yes.  Static routes on the MX device require a "next hop."  So through VLAN and subnetting you can essentialy "weight" or "prioritize" traffic routing to another layer 3 device.  As far as policy routing goes you have the ability to control Flow Preferences under Security appliance > Configure >Traffic Shaping > Flow Preferences and define traffic using a designated uplick tagged by Protocol, Source, Src port, Destination, Dst port, and preferred uplink.

bholmes12
Getting noticed

On the MX you can put in a static route that is active when the next hop responds to pings. You also have the option to manually enter a host IP to ping, the route can then be removed when that host doesnt respond. 

but does the route withdraw itself or do you have to physically remove it?

Neither of these are what I would call solutions for floating static routes.

Hello There, 

I am still new to Meraki, this will be the first comment from me.

I think the question referred to the original floating static routing feature, meaning to influence the AD of a static route (which is 1 by default). So far I do not find this feature, maybe I am looking at an incorrect place for it? (Security&SD-WAN-->addressing and vlans)

This topic came up for me, when I wanted to configure two default static route, and I wanted to make one of them less preferred, meaning increasing the AD of the less preferred route. But I still want a default static in the routing table, when the preferred next hop becomes unavailable.

I hope it is clear what I would like to achieve here. Maybe any suggestions? Or influencing the routing by modifying the AD is an outdated approach? 😞

Regards

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you specifically asking for a floating Default route or something that is pointing into a Prefix within your environment?

This could be accomplished like this:

2021-01-20_16h57_57.png

like described in https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/MX_Routing_Behavior#Overlapping_Routes

Nice. Thanks.  But I'm pretty sure this was not an option 2.5 years ago when I asked the question.  LOL

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels