Device Utilization with 16x vs 17x firmware

lpopejoy
A model citizen

Device Utilization with 16x vs 17x firmware

See this image. After upgrading to 17.8 firmware, CPU utilization went to 100%.  

We opened a support ticket...  Guess what they said?  You have 54 active users, and the system is only designed for 50...  

lpopejoy_0-1660166150996.png

6 Replies 6
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do you have IDS active and is this the snort error?  If you are still seeing this then I'd suggest rebooting the firewall or turning off IDS to test

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Here is an MX84 with ~250 concurrent clients, it was upgraded on the 18th July from 16.16 -> 17.8

cmr_0-1660170188960.png

lpopejoy
A model citizen

We have 100 or more that we've updated with no issues (including many who were "over provisioned" from a # of clients standpoint).  I've not seen this behavior on any of them though.

lpopejoy
A model citizen

Yes to IDS, and I'm not sure what you mean about the "snort error".  I did reboot several days ago, but that didn't change anything.  I should have disabled IDS to test, but I just downgraded to 16.16 last night.  I'll know when I get in the office if it fixed it or not.

lpopejoy
A model citizen

After rolling back to 16.16, device utilization went back to 30% from 100%.  Support says it is because we are over subscribed - which is complete BS.  

See their response here.  I'm fine with rolling back since 17.x isn't "stable" yet, but one would think that they would want to know about legit bugs in a "stable release candidate"

Thank you for your email.  Unfortunately, Network Support Engineers cannot control whether surveys are sent to customers or not.  I am very sorry that you are dissatisfied with my truthful, accurate and effective responses to your questions:

1.  I told you that, if your CPU utilization increased on our beta firmware, that you should rollback to a stable release.
2.  When you rolled back to a stable release, your CPU utilization returned to satisfactory levels--30% according to you.
3.  I told you, truthfully, that our Developers will not investigate a CPU utilization problem when the device is oversubscribed.
4.  The MX64W in this case is End of Sale:

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Other_Topics/Meraki_End-of-Life_(EOL)_Produc...

5.  The MX64W in this case is oversubscribed--At the present time, the MX has seen 74 clients in the past day, 52 of which are still active.  The MX64W is not designed to support more than 50 devices:

In regards to connected devices causing device utilization - even overnight when connected clients went down by 25% (and close to or under 50 devices), device utilization remained at 100%.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels