Desperately need a Meraki VPN Client!!!

JasonLP
New here

Desperately need a Meraki VPN Client!!!

Is anyone else having an issue where Windows 10 is not saving the Meraki VPN settings once a succesful connection is made? 

I have tried this on Windows 1709, 1803 an 1903.  I have the same problem on all versions.  Once you successfully connect, the "Type of sign in info" setting changes from "Username and Password" to "General Authentication".  The VPN Adapter also reverts back to the default Authentication settings. and no longer allows "Unencrypted Password (PAP)".  

The only resolution is manually change these settings and reboot the PC.  Once I do this I can successfully connect. However, this is a royal PAIN!

Hey Cisco guys!  We need a Meraki VPN client for windows!!  I cannot dump my four remaining Watchguard firewalls until this is resolved.  While I realize this seems to be a Windows issue but it would be great if we can remove Microsoft from the picture.

2 REPLIES 2
GregCrider
Conversationalist

We use the Win 10 built-in VPN on all the builds listed.  It does change from "Username and Password" to "General Authentication". The adapter auth settings do not revert like yours.  We install the VPN with the powershell below.  

# Setup Meraki VPN Windows 10 client

# Needed info
$ServerAddress = ""
$ConnectionName = ""
$Destination = ""
$PresharedKey = ''
$DNSSuffix = ''

#Delete any existing connections with the same name if they exist
if ((Get-VpnConnection).Name -eq $ConnectionName)
    {
        Remove-VpnConnection -Name $ConnectionName -Force
    }
if ((Get-VpnConnection -AllUserConnection).Name -eq $ConnectionName)
    {
        Remove-VpnConnection -AllUserConnection -Name $ConnectionName -Force
    }

# Add the VPN
Add-VpnConnection -AllUserConnection -Name "$ConnectionName" -ServerAddress "$ServerAddress" -TunnelType L2tp -L2tpPsk "$PresharedKey" -DnsSuffix "$DNSSuffix" -AuthenticationMethod Pap -RememberCredential -Force

Start-Sleep -m 100

# Set SplitTunnel
Set-VpnConnection -AllUserConnection -Name $ConnectionName -SplitTunneling $True

Start-Sleep -m 100

# Add route for old IP address schema
Add-VpnConnectionRoute -AllUserConnection -ConnectionName $ConnectionName -DestinationPrefix $Destination

Start-Sleep -m 100

# Set so that it doesn't use VPN cred as domain cred when accessing a DFS share
if (Test-Path C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk\rasphone.pbk) 
    { 
        Get-Content "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk\rasphone.pbk" | 
        Foreach-Object {$_.Replace("UseRasCredentials=1","UseRasCredentials=0")} | 
        Set-Content "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk\rasphone_NEW.pbk" 

IF ("C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk\rasphone_NEW.pbk") 
            { 
                Remove-Item "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk\rasphone.pbk" -Force 
                Rename-Item "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk\rasphone_NEW.pbk" -NewName "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk\rasphone.pbk" 
            } 
    }

IT_Tropolis
Here to help

Hi Jason:

Did you ever find a solution to this issue?  I've seen this on (3) devices in the past 2 days.

Thanks,
Bob H.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels