Cold Swap of different MX model - Method 2. Clone and Replace

Mohit_Chauhan
Here to help

Cold Swap of different MX model - Method 2. Clone and Replace

Hi guys,

I believe someone would have stumble on this like myself trying to get my head around this concept of clone and replace method for swapping mx which are different models.

I followed the Meraki documentation (https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Other_Topics/MX_Cold_Swap_Replacing_an_Existing_MX_with_a_Differ...  and this link as well (https://www.stratusinfosystems.com/news/how-to-replace-an-existing-meraki-mx-device/) where I go all good till step 2, but step 3 does not make sense where it is asking to enable warm spare. How is that possible when the models are not the same? I still tried different on the dashboard but never see the option where the spare MX serial will show up on the drop down menu of the adding the serial of the spare MX in the "warm spare" config pop page.

Has someone tried this and if yes, can you please help me understand where I am going wrong assuming this document is correct.

Mant thanks.

Mohit

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Just clone the network, add the new MX, test whatever is necessary and everything will be fine.

This step is if you have a spare MX.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

So i was thinking in the right direction that step should not apply to this. 
The document structure and language is misleading. 
There was another section for warm spare swap method and this was for cold spare in the sense you cannot have both active but want to be prepared and have the spare one which could be a different model be ready so it's only a matter of swapping cables in the event the main mx died on you. I have pasted the table of contents to explain my point just if you have time and want to see thru my lens and the build up frustration pondering and testing it over it for so long on a weekend. 

IMG_6256.jpeg

Thank you guys for confirming that. So I will just have this spare mx stay in the cloned network and if need be fire this up and move the cables onto it. 

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That section is only applicable if you're adding a warm spare MX.

If you only have a standalone MX and you're migrating to another standalone MX, you can ignore this section.

Thanks for confirming that Brash. Cheers. 😆

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels