Client VPN with Radius Server

Solved
Patrik73
Getting noticed

Client VPN with Radius Server

Meraki keeps haunting me.

I try to setup Client VPN with Windows server 2019 NPL-server.
I have followed the guide at

My Meraki is on another site from my AD.
They are connected via Site 2 Site non Meraki VPN.
It works fine and all traffic flows from Meraki to AD-site.

My Meraki can ping the Radius-server from default source.
ping.png

I have opened all ports on the Radius-server, inbound and outbound (just for test).

I have checked the shared secret and even changed it to something simple like 12345, and the same in Meraki Dasboard.

I have run sc sidtype IAS unrestricted on the Radius-server and rebooted.

I have deleted the file %windir%\system32\ias\ias.xml and rebuilt the settings in NPS.

I have checked Allow on Network Access Permission on the testusers AD-account and tried to check Control access through NPS Network Policy.

I have created a completely new user in my AD just to be sure that nothing "old" is making the error.

I have checked the Attribute msRADIUSServiceType so it is empty.

I have tried to connect with VPN from my Samsung phone with only data traffic enabled, and not wifi.

I have activated logging on the Radius server firewall for dropped connections, nothing is dropped.

I have activated logging Audit Policy (Account logon events and Logon events) on my Radius Server but the security logs shows no logging at all about failed connections.

I have tried to use different methods in username, domainname.local\username, domainname\username username@domainname.com and just username.

I have tried multiple different accounts.

Probably tried a number of more things, but no success at all.

The error I get is Error 691.
691.PNG

Meraki Cloud Authentiaction and AD authentication works .

I'm not sure what else I Can try now.

Maybe try to install NPS on an old Server 2012R2 just to make sure there is nothing strange with the 2019-server.
1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Note: Some versions of Windows Server require that the CallingStationID is omitted. If you are unable to establish connectivity, remove the CallingStationID and leave the field blank.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you created a server certificate for the NPS?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Have you checked the NPS logs?

Meraki states that you don't need a certificate for Radius-server with VPN.

The NPS-logs are empty.

But looks like it works fine when I removed CLIENTVPN from NPS.
Thanks!

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Note: Some versions of Windows Server require that the CallingStationID is omitted. If you are unable to establish connectivity, remove the CallingStationID and leave the field blank.

Thank you!
I was pretty sure I tried that, but apperently not.

It works fine when I removed CallingStationID.

You are a champ.

Now even Azure MFA works with User VPN.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels