Client VPN issue - cannot connect to my servers

bdw72
Comes here often

Client VPN issue - cannot connect to my servers

I setup the client VPN on the MX64 and i can connect to it via a windows 10 computer, but what i cannot do is rdp into my server.  I am not a network person, so please be patient with me.  Can someone help me get connected to my server?

11 REPLIES 11
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Check Windows Firewall on the server to make sure it is allowing RDP from a remote subnet.

bdw72
Comes here often

RDP from other subnets work great.  I have a hub and spoke site to site VPN with 6 spokes and 1 hub.  I am trying to set this up on the hub which is the same MX64 where the servers are.  When I connect to the VPN i receive an ip address, subnet mask address, but no default gateway.  Could this be a routing issue? or a DHCP issue?

PaulMcG
Getting noticed

Check layer3 rules in the firewall menu.  You might have rules restricting the subnet for the RDP server from reaching the client VPN subnet.

bdw72
Comes here often

I do not have any layer 3 rules at all.  This is a flat network.

PaulMcG
Getting noticed

While connected to client VPN, are you able to ping the RDP server address, or any other address on the LAN?

bdw72
Comes here often

I cannot ping anything

Jwiley78
Building a reputation

Have you tried pinging both via IP and hostname.  Could be a DNS issue?

bdw72
Comes here often

Ping by IP and host name does not work. 

Chris_Watkins
Here to help

Did this ever get resolved? I have a similar issue where client VPN is connected but I am unable to access anything on the LAN.  My PPP connection shows that its IP is in the Client VPN subnet, but it has no default gateway address.
I can ping stuff on the LAN by ping -a IP address and the FQDN is returned. however if I ping that same FQDN by name I get a different IP returned. 

Jwiley78
Building a reputation

A problem I've ran into on two networks now.  Home network is on 192.168.1.0/24 network and company network is 192.168.1.0/24.  VPN will show connected but accessing internal devices is not reliable since both networks are the same.  Not sure if your issue is related or not.  We ended up changing internal network to different subnet.

Chris_Watkins
Here to help

My subnets are not the same, so I don't think that is related. Thanks though

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels