Chromebooks fail to be able to log into the wifi

Steve-ELC
Just browsing

Chromebooks fail to be able to log into the wifi

Hello,

I have been given the job to solve why the chrome books we have here at a K-12 school will not connect. There are 2 wifi SSID's but only one the students should use. 1 is for site visitors and gives them access to internet only. This has a key supplied upon request. The other is for all students and staff with BYOD. Apple MACS and Windows devices add their usernames and passwords then have access to the site where allowed. Chromebooks cannot get past the username and password stage. As I have basic knowledge and now see the dashboard has changed I would really appreciate any help.

The person that created both these SSID's has left and is not contactable so I am starting from scratch.

Cheers

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What firmware version are you running and what type of authentication are you using?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you are not running a stable firmware or better on the MRs, starting by upgrading to stable.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What is performing the username/password authentication?  Perhaps it is configured to prevent the Chrome Books access to that SSID.

When you say that can not get past username/password, what actually happens?  Do they keep getting prompted?  Do they enter the username, password, attach to WiFi but then have no Internet access?

Steve-ELC
Just browsing

Looks like we have resolved the issue to all bar 1 students laptop. It was down to the settings we were choosing when trying to connect. The below steps were done. Still not sure why 1 is having issues but will deal with that one once it is free to look at. Thank you all for the fast replies to assist. Greatly appreciated.

1. Under "EAP method" Select PEAP in the dropdown.
  2. Under "EAP Phase 2 authentication" select MSCHAPv2 in the dropdown.
  3. Under "Server CA certificate" select Do not check in the dropdown. We thought the default was fine.
  4. Enter in your username under "Identity" and Password under "Password" sections.
  5. Click Connect.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels