Change IP of VPN on Meraki MX84

SOLVED
bassmanrod
Just browsing

Change IP of VPN on Meraki MX84

Hi.

We are getting a new ISP so; of course, that involves different IPs. I already know how to change the IP/netmask/gateway on WAN1 of the Meraki. I have 5 IPs allocated, if that matters.

How do I go about changing the IP of the VPN server? I looked and couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance

Bassmanrod

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ChrisKemsley
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

The VPN server IP is the WAN IP of the MX

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ChrisKemsley
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

The VPN server IP is the WAN IP of the MX

Nick
Head in the Cloud

The WAN IP of the VPN server will change to the default IP of the MX. Under Security & SD-WAN > Uplink you will see this.

You can change the subnet handed out in Security & SD-WAN > Client VPN
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

And if you want to avoid having to change this on the clients every time you get a new IP address you can use the dynamic DNS name provided by Meraki for free, instead of using the actual IP.

You can find it in several locations, but one of them is in the appliance status page. It ends with .dynamic-m.com.

Brecht hit the nail on the head. It's easy to use the dynamic DNS name provided by Meraki and not have to mess with setting a static IP. It's part of what your awfully expensive license is paying for, right? 🙂

Edit: I like Nash's idea too! It really cleans it up from the client's perspective. I didn't think to do that myself yet. Perhaps I'll get around to it sometime. 🙂

Its a good point to raise - I would never consider doing it any other way. Use the dynamic host name!

Nash
Kind of a big deal

Count me as another vote to use the dynamic DNS provided by Meraki when configuring profiles on your end user's computers. It's especially good practice if you have multiple WAN links.

Easiest place to grab it is from the Client VPN page - it's the second line down, starts with Hostname.

If you don't want to be using wharrrrgarrbbll.dynamic-m.com, you can setup a CNAME record for vpn.yourdomain.com or whatever, on your public DNS.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels