Cellular failover issues

dsekely_brs
Comes here often

Cellular failover issues

I am experiencing these issues when testing our cellular failover on a MX84 with a UML290 and USB730L.

Both cellular devices work perfectly when connected to a laptop and are setup to connect automatically.

When plugged into the MX84 they both are in the ready state and when I disconnect primary WAN the MX84 does fail over to cellular modem but I am not able to browse to any new websites.  The pages just time out.

If I happen to have websites open prior to the failover I am able to browse through the sub pages but any links to pages outside of that site time out as well.

While on cellular failover I can ping and trace route to any website from my workstation.  I am also able to get emails and instant messages to come through.

I was able to test the device in another MX84 that I replicated as much as possible the configuration from the MX having the issue above and the device worked without any issues.

What settings would be a good starting point to review given the non working behavior above?

8 REPLIES 8
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It sounds to me like DNS is failing.

When running on celluar and you do an nslookup for a site you have not been too - does that fail?

Are you using manually assigned DNS servers by chance?

Nslookups completed as well.  I was using internal dns servers behind the mx as well as using google dns servers when I was directly connected to one of the mx lan ports.

No and I have the cellular bandwidth set to unlimited.

Is that MX in NAT- or No-NAT mode?

Not sure.  I am on firmware 14.40 and don’t see that option.

Ok, then it‘s NAT mode, you need 15.x Beta code to disable it. In this case, my idea is unfortunately invalid.

@PhilipDAth Another user replied to the post below with a similar issue I am having.  I however did not have any flow preferences on any of my networks that I am experiencing this issue.  I'm just wondering if there is a setting with the S2S VPN that could be causing my issue as well.

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/Cellular-and-VPN-in-MX/m-p/4836

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels