Can't Configure Automatic Firmware Upgrade

SOLVED
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Can't Configure Automatic Firmware Upgrade

I imagine there's a simple answer to this but I haven't been able to find it so far.

I have a network consisting of some old gear - an MX64 and an MS220-8P

They're currently running 15.42.3 and 14.31 respectively (stable releases).

If I look under Organisation -> Firmware Upgrades, I can see available upgrades to MX 15.44.3 and and MS 14.33 (both stable releases).

When I look under Network Wide -> General, there's no "Upgrade as Scheduled" option for Switch or Security Appliance. The only options available are "Schedule for ...",  "Perform upgrade now" or "Ignore".
Access Points and Cellular Gateways have the "Upgrade as Scheduled" option.

Is there something I'm missing or is this simply due to having old equipment in the network?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Brash I think that the automatically scheduled upgrades only occur when an end of support date is set on the existing firmware, either due to an issue or simply whent he newer ones are considered ultra stable.  If you select to allow the network to use beta firmware then I think you get more frequent scheduled upgrades (but they may well be betas).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Brash to have the 'upgrade as scheduled' option, there has to be a currently scheduled upgrade.  If you schedule an upgrade for one device type in the future, you should then see this option become available.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Right, that makes sense.

I manually configured an upgrade for the switch and I can see it now set as an option.

The remaining question is: With the current configuration, will the switch and MX be automatically upgraded if I leave them? I would have expected the MX to have automatically upgraded by now since the stable release available is from August.

Brash_0-1636499980907.png

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Brash I think that the automatically scheduled upgrades only occur when an end of support date is set on the existing firmware, either due to an issue or simply whent he newer ones are considered ultra stable.  If you select to allow the network to use beta firmware then I think you get more frequent scheduled upgrades (but they may well be betas).

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Ok Perfect. That makes much more sense now.

I had an automatic upgrade notification for a different site but it looks like that's because it has an MX75 and is getting moved from an early-stage beta release to a stable release.

Thanks @cmr 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels