Can I use third part APs with an MX68 security appliance?

KA
Conversationalist

Can I use third part APs with an MX68 security appliance?

I have robust WiFi coverage in place already from another vendor.  I would like to benefit from all the security features the MX-68 with advanced security license offers across my network, including wireless.  So long as the APs are behind the MX, shouldn't clients connected to those APs benefit from the MX device? 

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies 6
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

That depends on the architecture.

If the APs connect to some central controller and data flows out there (e.g. Capwap) then the location of the controller is what matters.

KA
Conversationalist

They are stand alone APs that connect back to a switch, which will connect into the MX.
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Certainly @KA that's fine.  Depending on which 3rd party APs you're using, you can either have DHCP services provided by the MX, or by the standalone APs if they're able to do so.  Regardless, like you said, clients on the APs would benefit from the security features of the inline MX, just connect the MX68 WAN to your ISP and hang the APs off of the LAN ports.  

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Then yes, all traffic that flows through the MX (so I'm assuming it's the gateway) will be protected by the L3/L7 firewall rules defined in it, IDS/IPS if enabled, AMP, content filtering etc.

Nick
Head in the Cloud

@KA 

Yes this is a common scenario we have, when taking over sites and beginning the change or update of equipment. We usually start at the gateway to secure ingress and egress into the network then work back replacing the network equipment.

You shouldn't have any issues doing this 🙂 

GuilhermeMacedo
Getting noticed

Hi @KA

If your gatway of your AP is MX so you are able to use the benefits, but if not, like you conentrate your flow to a VPN like @BrechtSchamp said, then you'll not avaible to use benefits of no one vendor. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels