Bypass URL filtering for a single client IP address

SOLVED
Pugmiester
Building a reputation

Bypass URL filtering for a single client IP address

Hi all,

A question popped up in our team meeting this morning that I hadn't considered. If a website is dropped into a category by Brightcloud that a local MX happens to block (Parked Domains for example), is there a safe way to allow a management IP address to bypass the URL category list and get unrestricted internet access to be able to confirm the type of site? I'm assuming it's not obvious from the URL or users description.

We could of course connect out of band to check it or simply whitelist the URL on the MX but that releases it for all users so I'm kinda hoping there may be a more elegant and controlled option we could consider.

Thanks, Martin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That’s what group policies are for.

Define a group policy in networkwide group policies and override content filter.

Then go to network clients. Select the host you want to give the exceptional access and apply the group policy.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That’s what group policies are for.

Define a group policy in networkwide group policies and override content filter.

Then go to network clients. Select the host you want to give the exceptional access and apply the group policy.

Pugmiester
Building a reputation

Thanks, I knew there would be a way to do it but I've not had enough coffee yet this morning 🙂

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The built int "whitelist" policy can also be applied to a client to bypass all restrictions.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels