Auto VPN China to US

PeterOl
Comes here often

Auto VPN China to US

We have only one location in China and have Meraki MX in rest of the locations globally (US and Europe). Is it worth putting MX100 in China since the Great China Firewall issues? Ideally we would like to utilize failover between 2 WAN interfaces and only send business traffic to US. Did anything change or is it still recommended to have MPLS between China and US? If so, does it still make seance to put in Meraki in China if it is just one location? 

2 Replies 2
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have personally found AutoVPN out of China is still working - but their is no guarantee this will continue to work.

The official solution is to use an MPLS circuit by a China approved telco, such as China Telecom.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Site-to-site_VPN/China_Auto_VPN

From my understanding Auto VPN needs WAN interfaces to work and MPLS can be configured only on LAN interface of Meraki MX. Would there be any benefit of using Meraki if can't use Auto VPN, Failover and Advance licensing? On top of that Meraki in China is connecting to separate China Portal. I would like to use Meraki, just playing devil's advocate to see if I can justify it if there is only one location in China. It seems easier to just configure MPLS on a router or ASA, if MPLS connectivity is required to get out of China legally. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels