Assign VLAN to a VM

SOLVED
Harry181
Conversationalist

Assign VLAN to a VM

I have a MX65 with a DMZ VLAN and internal VLAN.  I've setup a Hyper-v host using a port assigned to the DMZ. I'm puzzled why the VMs on the host are showing on the internal VLAN instead of the DMZ. I do not see a way to specify which VLAN the VMs should use. Setting a static DMZ address on the VM makes it unreachable. Any suggestions on what I should check or change?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nash
Kind of a big deal

How is your virtual switch configured on the Hyper-V host? We'd normally setup a trunk between the host and the MX, including both the management vlan and DMZ vlan.

Then the virtual switch on the host handles telling VMs what VLAN they belong to.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Nash
Kind of a big deal

How is your virtual switch configured on the Hyper-V host? We'd normally setup a trunk between the host and the MX, including both the management vlan and DMZ vlan.

Then the virtual switch on the host handles telling VMs what VLAN they belong to.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can use a single NIC configured for 802.1q trunking.  I haven't used Hyper-V in a long time, but basically you end up assigning the VMs to the VLANs.  This would connect to a trunk port on the MX65.

The other option is to use a NIC for each VLAN, which goes to access ports on the MX65 configured for the appropriate VLAN.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels