Allow windows user to access fileserver witch different username for VPN

spenkolo
New here

Allow windows user to access fileserver witch different username for VPN

Hi,

I have this question for you:

I have my username in Active Directory name.lastname, and is allow for file server.

If I connect from V.P:N., where my username is name.lastname@domain, the file server don't know me, and ask the login for access the files, instead to recognize me.

It's like he didn't exchange my windows authentication.

Does anyone have any ideas to recommend?

2 REPLIES 2
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you logged in from an AD member computer with the AD username?  When you VPN are the AD servers being given out as the DNS servers for your machine to use?

Nash
Kind of a big deal

Windows tries to use the client VPN credential to authenticate to remote resources by default.

Two solutions:

1. Setup RADIUS authentication using NPS so that you can log into the VPN using your Active Directory credential. This is my preferred solution wherever possible.

2. Edit your phonebook to force the VPN connection to use your AD credential. I usually do this with PowerShell, since I don't have any environments where a client needs to use not their Windows credential to authenticate to a server.

Step one: Open PowerShell ISE

Step two: If you don't see a white pane, hit CTRL + R to open it

Step three: Paste the following block into the white script pane, and run it:

$PbkPath = Join-Path $env:APPDATA 'Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk\rasphone.Pbk'
(Get-Content -path $PbkPath -Raw) -Replace 'UseRasCredentials=1','UseRasCredentials=0' | Set-Content -pat $PbkPath

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels