Alerting - how can I get an email when a new client (new MAC) is detected.

DixieFlatline
Comes here often

Alerting - how can I get an email when a new client (new MAC) is detected.

In alerting, it's very easy to monitor existing clients for connectivity changes. However, is it possible to get an alert when a brand new device is detected?  

The goal is to know about any rogue devices that may come into the environment. 

I know that Meraki logging for clients only goes back 30 days in the dashboard, so I'm not sure if that would make a client that has been offline for 31 days trigger this new device alert, but that would happen rarely in my environment.  

3 Replies 3
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

For a new client? Not that I am aware of. You can do alerting based on MAC address for existing client (when they come/go etc.).

Only thing I can think of is to setup some sort of script to pull all clients every 5 minutes and then when a new client gets added to the existing table, send an alert. Something like that.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

This is the API call you'd probably want to use, single GET for a network

{{baseUrl}}/networks/{{networkId}}/clients
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>The goal is to know about any rogue devices that may come into the environment. 

This comment makes me think you should be looking at using 802.1x if it is that important.  This will stop rogue devices from plugging in.  I would do this using Meraki switches.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Access_Control/MS_Switch_Access_Policies_(802.1X)

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels