Access local VLAN over VPN?

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

Access local VLAN over VPN?

On my home Lan I have two VLANs. One VLAN is for all of the users and the other VLAN is for my Sonos devices. I separate them so that only I can administer the Sonos network and no one else can fool with the sound settings. Is there a way for me, when I am away from home, to make my iPhone believe it is on the same subnet/VLAN as my Sonos devices to do things like software updates from outside the house? Similarly this would also allow me to go on the user violin and print etc. any way to do this?

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
6 Replies 6
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You'd be better using something like TeamViewer to connect to a device left at home on the Sonos VLAN.  VPN users have to be on a separate L2 domain to the internal networks so I don't think VPN is an option.

Mind you, if your Sonos devices are more than a couple of years old you won't need to worry about updates soon... 😉

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

I love TeamViewer. And I’d like to try this. I saw in another thread this link was offered

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Client_VPN/Restricting_Client_VPN_access_using_Layer_3_firewal...

here it says that VPN users get access to all subnets. How is that possible?

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.

So just now I connected to my VPN and tried to use Bonjour/AirPrint to see my printer on the default VLAN and it won’t show. I’m sure there is a good reason for this. I’m doing it mainly for the service discovery so if I can’t get that it’s not too useful for me. On the plus side, I am able to access all my switches on the LAN via local IP so that is a big positive to be able to troubleshoot from off site.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The VPN connection gives you layer3 (IP) access to internal subnets.  This is why IP connectivity works but mac (layer 2) connectivity will not.

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

Got it. Pretty sure Sonos uses layer 2 for its connectivity. That explains that.

Bonjour/AirPrint don't really support routed networks.  So I can't see this ever working with client VPN.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels