Access hidden menus

Autumn
Getting noticed

Access hidden menus

So, I was on Security & SD WAN on one of my sites with an MX, went to a site without an MX and it opened the same MX config page even though there is no MX there. It even let me change settings.

Interesting...

8 REPLIES 8
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Yup, that's normal. The setting are a property of the network, not of the device. You can set up the vast majority of settings in an appliance network without a device in it. The only thing that's really specific to the device is the indiviual ports as different models have different port counts.

This functionality is the same that allows you to remove one MX, and then add another, in the event of a hardware replacement.

Autumn
Getting noticed

Oh, neat, so I can set up the MX for this site before it's even connected to the dashboard?

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Yup, you certainly can. 

You can create the network, and get it all set up before you even have an MX in your possession. Once you receive it just add the serial to the network and plug it in. 

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Exactly! One of the most beautiful things regarding Cloud management 😎

Is there a way to turn the menus on without having to switch back and forth between sites?

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

If it's a combined network, not directly that I know of. But you can create a new "appliance" network, set things up, and then combine the new appliance network into the existing network to make it one. 

There's probably other ways too.

This is one of the reasons I Love meraki product I can have all of my new equipment configured before its even in the country. 

When I create a new combined network with nothing in it, the Security & SD-WAN menu is there. As soon as I add just a switch, it disappears. So in a network without any devices all menus are shown I think.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels