Using Netgear Nighthawk M6 Pro for failsafe ethernet on Meraki GO system

dcrom
Conversationalist

Using Netgear Nighthawk M6 Pro for failsafe ethernet on Meraki GO system

Would it be possible and if so, would there be any limitations or security issues, to use Netgear's Nighthawk M6 Pro on my Meraki GO systems. 

6 Replies 6
Xydocq
A model citizen

Hello @dcrom 

You can use different devices with Meraki GO. There shouldn't be security issues with that.

You can find more information here: Meraki Go - Recommended Meraki Go Topology - Cisco Meraki

To offer better help, you would need to specify what Meraki GO devices you want to use with the Nighthawk.

Cheers

dcrom
Conversationalist

Thanks for the reply. I have a Meraki GO 24 port POE Switch, a Meraki GO 5 port gateway and Meraki GO indoor and outdoor WIFI access points

Appreciate any suggestions.

We have Spectrum for internet which enables our phone system, (Ring Central). For the past several weeks they have working on an issue locally and our calls will drop, we cannot process payments, etc. I was trying to find a solution in the form of a secondary internet connection. I have looked into Starlink and Netgear Nighthawk M6 Pro.

Xydocq
A model citizen

It isn't easy to make any suggestions without knowing more.

I assume:

- You are using the Meraki GO gateway (GX-20 or GX-50) with a static WAN-IP on your Spectrum modem. If not it might be worth to give that type of connection a try.

- Phones are connected directly to the Spectrum modem and are not part of the Meraki GO network.

I assume that, because I have a similar setup at home with my cable ISP.

I don't see how a secondary internet connection (Starlink or Nighthawk) will fit in that type of setup, since the Meraki GO gateway offers only one WAN-port. You would have to switch the connection manually and you might have to change settings on the gateway every time you do that. Not knowing which connection is stable or not at the given time.

When you say they are working on an issue locally, this issue happens at your place or in your area? Did you ask Spectrum to replace the modem? 

dcrom
Conversationalist

Thanks again for your reply. 

We do have a static IP. The phone/Ethernet is from switch then to computer. 
The Spectrum work in our area was initially due to a main node being taken down due to traffic accident. It was out for three days! From there, it was intermittent for anywhere between 5 minutes and a couple hours for three weeks
It made me realize we seriously need backup as our credit card terminal, computers, phones… all are dependent on a connection 
I have loved the Meraki Go set up. We use it at both of our locations. I wish our internet was as reliable;)
Xydocq
A model citizen

Some ISPs offer a failover-solution and some don't. My cable ISP at home doesn't offer this option, while my ISP at my workplace offers this solution. It comes with another plan. My business doesn't depend on an internet connection like yours.

My suggestion would be, to look for an ISP, who offers a plan that includes a failover-solution. Usualy it comes with a smaller price then having two plans from different ISPs.

If that's not available look for a dual-WAN or multi-WAN router. Some have a build in 5G modem and some will need a dedicated modem for it.

dcrom
Conversationalist

Spectrum business does offer a failover solution. It is $99.00 set-up fee/ $20.00 per month per location. I would not have known but for your suggestion.

Thanks!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.