Static IP for VPN Clients on GX50

Ken-BHD
Just browsing

Static IP for VPN Clients on GX50

We have an application that requires a wired computer to connect to the vpn clients.  it works great if we use a host file but the vpn clients get assigned diff addresses every time they log in and setting it at the client end makes it unable to connect.   is there a way to set it so a vpn client gets the same ip everytime?

5 REPLIES 5
Soichiro-Ono
Getting noticed

Hello.

I don't have a GX50 so I can't verify it, but there probably isn't a way to specify it on the client VPN settings screen.

Meraki Go - Client VPN Setup - Cisco Meraki

If there is a possibility, can't it be solved by referring to "Local Network Addressing" and statically specifying the IP address to be distributed or limiting the range? Let's try it.

Meraki Go - Local Network Addressing - Cisco Meraki

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos.
If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
有用な回答だと思われる際にはkudoをクリックして頂けると幸いです。
回答があなたの問題を解決した場合、accept as solutionをクリックしてください。

the one problem is I have 14 locations that I need to be able to address directly.

Hello.

FIX IP addresses can be distributed to each Cisco Meraki enterprise product that requires a separate license, rather than Meraki Go.

DHCP Services - Cisco Meraki

>・Fixed IP assignments
​​​​​​​IP addresses that are allocated to specific devices by MAC address to ensure that these devices always get the same IP address when they make a DHCP request. Lists of Fixed IPs can be imported from a CSV file.

SoichiroOno_0-1675216207272.png

Instead of Meraki MX, FIX IP address assignment is also possible with Z3 teleworker gateway.

Both MX and Z3 require annual licenses, so they are more expensive than Go.

Getting Started with Meraki - Cisco Meraki

General Administration - Cisco Meraki

If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Soichiro-Ono
Getting noticed

Hello.

@Ken , my GX20 doesn't have a VPN function, so I can't verify it, but there is a FIX IP assignment. Can't you use this to assign a fixed assignment to the device that connects to the client VPN?

Meraki Go - Local Network Addressing - Cisco Meraki

>Device Reservations

If you want to ensure that a device gets the same IP address every time it comes on to your network, you can set up a Device Reservation. You can do so by clicking the "+" icon on the Device Reservation section. You can either select a device from a list of previously seen devices, or manually enter the information as necessary.

SoichiroOno_0-1675217980242.jpeg

Xydocq
A model citizen

Static IP assignment works on LAN. VPN doesn't really allow that to happen. In order to have static adresses you would need to set up a site2site VPN.

To do that each location needs to be set to have different local IP-adresses (eg. Server-location: 10.10.0.0/24, Branch 1: 10.10.1.0/24, Branch 2: 10.10.2.0/24.. and so on).

The VPN connection has to established by the routers and not by the computers itself. After that, your main computer at the server location (eg. 10.10.0.100) will be able to connect to PC1 at branch1 over the local fixed ip (eg. 10.10.1.222).

A connection from a pc to a VPN-Server will always end up in a different adressing.

The connection would look like that : Server (static IP) -> VPN-Router (set as server with static WAN-IP) -> Internet -> VPN-Router (client, gets a random IP from the VPN-server) -> PC1 (static IP).

Hope that helps