GX50 Site to Site VPN Bridge mode

TTozer
Just browsing

GX50 Site to Site VPN Bridge mode

I have two sites that have the same subnet and I need to bridge them using the Site to Site VPN, can this be done with two GX50's and how?

3 Replies 3
Xydocq
A model citizen

hello @TTozer 

The network-addresses on the local networks need to be different.

You can't have the same IP-address on both sites, because devices won't know where that IP-address is located. Or better said, each device would search for the other only on LAN and never over VPN.

hope this helps

As I suspected, these routers do not support a Bridged VPN.

Xydocq
A model citizen

Could you explain the term "Bridged VPN"?

In order to have a working site2site-VPN each site has to be unique when it comes to the ip-addresses (Site1: 192.168.1.0/24, Site2: 192.168.2.0/24 and so on....) If you use 192.168.1.0/24 on two sites, it won't work. Your local computers will think that any ip within that range is a local ip-address.

Routing between two or more sites will be done by the routers, they will know that an address on 192.168.1.0/24 is on site1 and an address on 192.168.2.0/24 is on site2. The route would look like this: "Destination: 192.168.2.0" "SubnetMask: 255.255.255.0" "NextHop: 192.168.1.1" "Interface: VPN"

So please let me know what "Bridged VPN" means, because I wasn't able to google that term successfully.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.