GX20 to Intel NUC 11 port link speed is only 10 Mbps

RAV1
Comes here often

GX20 to Intel NUC 11 port link speed is only 10 Mbps

I started my initial Meraki Go installation yesterday with initially a GX20 gateway. I will add three GR10 access points once my wired network is up and running. I have a 350/20 Mpbs Virgin Media Business Broadband connection. There won't be FTTP in this part of London for several years yet 😞

When my two computers are directly connected to my old router, I see speeds of about 400/20 Mbps on both. One is a decade old HP Z600 running Windows 10 Pro and the other is a newly built Intel NUC11TNBi7 motherboard installed in a fanless Akasa case running Windows 11 Pro. When I connect them to the GX20, The Z600 shows a speed of about 300/20, which is a bit better than I expected. However, I only see a speed of just under 10/10 Mbps with the NUC, no matter which port on the GX20 or Cat 6 cable I use.

On closer inspection of the properties of my network card (Intel I225-LM), I see the speed is displayed as only being 10 Mbps instead of the 1.0 Gbps I was seeing when connected to my old router. When I check the link speed of the port on the GX20 in the Meraki Go app, this is also showing as only 10 Mbps. I have switched around cables with the same result. I also carefully cleaned each GX20 port with a clean soft brush, but there was no debris whatsoever as it is brand new.

The NUC bios and its network card driver is up to date. I also tried changing the "Speed & Duplex" manually from Auto-Negotiation to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex and then 2.5 Gbps Full Duplex, but the speed did not change.

So, it seems the speed that is being negotiated between the GX20 and NUC is only 10 Mbps. Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this?

6 Replies 6
RAV1
Comes here often

Another strange thing I noticed is that the left port light remains green whether the connection is 1 Gbps of 10 Mbps. Also the right port light is always off and never blinks during network activity.

I think I must have a dud. I will raise a support ticket.

Changed NIC setting in OS from auto-negotiation to 100mb full duplex. Did not work with 1gb setting though…

Bamboo1817
Comes here often

The Meraki-Go advertises 250mbps throughput. The firewall needs to look at all the traffic traversing the network. This limitation is fine for many small business that have 50/100/200 mbps bandwidth or less here in the states we still have DSL in some locations. If your setup is located in a residential area where the bandwidth tends to be much higher the Meraki-Go may not be the one for you. If you are in a business district and you have and need that bandwidth then the Meraki MX series is the one for you. The MX is a true business Security Appliance and the price reflects that as well. 

RAV1
Comes here often

CISCO would not support my GX20 because I bought it off ebay and it was apparently an ex-demo unit. So I binned it and bought another from Amazon. Now on booting auto-negotiation speed sometimes drops from 2.5 Gbps to 100 Mbps, but restarting the adapter once or twice gets it back up to 1 Gbps. All-in-all I'm happy with the 250+ Mbps hard-wired and 300+ Mbps wireless speeds I'm getting.

speakerfritz
A model citizen

are you going to connect AP directly to the firewall?

I initially did that and had warning messages related to the AP having the FW internet port address.   so I switched the AP's from bridge mode, the default, to NAT mode.   that fixed the warning messages....but...since I have 2 APs, the LAN was behaving like two networks due to the APs now providing DHCP.

so, I bought the switch, put the APs back into bridge mode and no more warnings and the LAN behaved as 1 LAN.

Yes, I have 3 APs directly connected to the GX20. The 4th port is connected to my main computer.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.