UPS requirements for MX 68 and switches

SOLVED
Skeating
Here to help

UPS requirements for MX 68 and switches

Hello

I am trying to find out what are the requirements for a UPS to support an MX 68 and a MS 210-48LP switch. I know you cannot give me a brand name (but if you can, thanks), but I am looking buy some thing from an appliance store.

Stephen Keating

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Russ_B
Getting noticed

It's difficult to make a recommendation without more information.  The datasheets list the min/max power requirements of the devices, for example the MX68 requires 10-79 watts, and the MS210-48LP requires 53-490 watts (it's going to vary a lot depending on what and how many PoE devices are connected.)  I would typically plan for the worst case scenario and size the UPS for a load of 600 watts, which would mean a minimum of a 1000VA UPS.  That would give you a few minutes runtime at full load.  Actual runtime would vary depending on the load.

I don't know what would be available at your local appliance store, but I have personally used APC, TrippLite, and CyberPower UPS units and had good luck with all of them.  APC has a UPS Selector tool that will allow you to enter in the load in watts and the desired runtime in minutes, when I put in 600 watts and 10 minutes, it recommended a SmartUPS 1500 which would provide 14 minutes of runtime at 600 watts.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Russ_B
Getting noticed

It's difficult to make a recommendation without more information.  The datasheets list the min/max power requirements of the devices, for example the MX68 requires 10-79 watts, and the MS210-48LP requires 53-490 watts (it's going to vary a lot depending on what and how many PoE devices are connected.)  I would typically plan for the worst case scenario and size the UPS for a load of 600 watts, which would mean a minimum of a 1000VA UPS.  That would give you a few minutes runtime at full load.  Actual runtime would vary depending on the load.

I don't know what would be available at your local appliance store, but I have personally used APC, TrippLite, and CyberPower UPS units and had good luck with all of them.  APC has a UPS Selector tool that will allow you to enter in the load in watts and the desired runtime in minutes, when I put in 600 watts and 10 minutes, it recommended a SmartUPS 1500 which would provide 14 minutes of runtime at 600 watts.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.