Documentation Digest: 6/24 - 7/1

CameronMoody
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Documentation Digest: 6/24 - 7/1

Hi Community,

Below are the most important changes to our documentation between June 24 - July 1, 2019:

Week of 6/24

Configuring ACLs
Change: More detail added.  Removed overlapping information which was present in “MS Switch ACL Operation” which is linked in this article.

Active Directory Issue Resolution Guide
Change: New article

MX 67/68 Cellular Interface - Supported Carriers
Z3C Cellular Interface - Supported Carriers
Change: Added note clarifying that Meraki does not certify/approve carriers, but rather that carriers certify Meraki devices.
"Carrier compatibility is based on Meraki device certifications being approved by the carrier. A carrier being listed above means that they have certified Meraki's product for their cellular network. Although Meraki can test networks and many unlisted carriers may be functionally compatible with Meraki devices, the list of certified carriers is based on the carrier validating Meraki, and not the other way around."

Storm Control for MS
Change: Updated list of supported models

Change of Authorization with RADIUS (CoA) on MR Access Points
Change: Adjusted wording to state that the “audit-session-Id” is learned from the access-REQUEST message, not the access-ACCEPT message.  

Cameron Moody | Product Manager, Cisco Meraki
11 REPLIES 11
SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Thanks for the update!

Regarding LTE carrier compatibility, please confirm.

MX = T-Mobile is supported

Z = T-Mobile is not supported

If that is true then AT&T is the only US support carrier on both MX and Z series?

Nice work! Thanks. 

Thanks for the update @CameronMoody . I have a question about the storm control update. In the list there's no mention of the MS120 (which makes sense as it's also not present in the datasheet). However someone on the community stated that although not finetunable some storm control is present on all Meraki switches. Is there any documentation about that?

Hey @BrechtSchamp ,

At the beginning of the article:

"All MS series switches include some degree of storm control mechanisms to ensure Meraki Cloud connectivity."

While basic storm control exists on all models, configuration options are only available on the supported models listed.

@CameronMoody wrote:

"All MS series switches include some degree of storm control mechanisms to ensure Meraki Cloud connectivity."

OMG I wish with so hard that this was true, but alas, it is not. I wouldn't have found myself in the basement of a residence building on Xmas eve if it were true 😞

Nash
Kind of a big deal

@jdsilva I think that's the difference between "some" storm control and "storm control that matches your normal definition". 😕 I'm not sure I'd rely on the default small bit of control either, but I guess that's what we get for buying 120s.

Which reminds me that I need to go have a talk with my team about when and how we use 120s. 

@CameronMoody wrote:

Hey @BrechtSchamp ,

At the beginning of the article:

While basic storm control exists on all models, configuration options are only available on the supported models listed.

Aha I need new glasses 🤓. Any details available about the specifics?

@BrechtSchamp 

Any details available about the specifics?

Our switch team updated the document with a bit more detail regarding "basic" vs "enhanced" storm control and related protocols.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Other_Topics/Storm_Control_for_MS

Thanks!

@SoCalRacer wrote:

Thanks for the update!

If that is true then AT&T is the only US support carrier on both MX and Z series?

Yes, AT&T is the only US carrier, so far, that has certified both the MX67C/68CW and Z3C devices.

But just to clarify again, the carriers list is a list of which carriers have certified Meraki, not which carriers are compatible.

So it's more like:

T-Mobile = MX has been certified

T-Mobile = Z-Series has not been certified

@SoCalRacer wrote:

Thanks for the update!

From the Gemalto documentation - 

The PLS8 and its variants, PLS8-E, PLS8-US, PLS8-J, PLS8-X and PLS8-V,
supports multiple Mobile Network Operators including AT&T, TMobile and
Verizon from a single variant. Depending on activated SIM/MIM, correct
network configurations are automatically detected and activated. In addition,
2G and 3G connectivity is also supported for maximum roaming capability.

Things don't just happen, they have to be made to happen, so somebody at Meraki has to be incentivised to lend TMobile the kit needed to verify that the Z3C interacts properly with their networks. We know, per the manufacturer, the LTE hardware works with TMobile, AT&T and Verizon.

It is even worse in the rest of the world, the only MNOs "certified" are - 

Orange, Telia, Telecom Italia, Telefonica, Post, BT, STC, Telenor, SingTel.

Meraki - it is no good waiting around waiting for it to happen, if you are serious about this kit, you must make it happen. Nobody else gives a toss.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.