Augmented Reality for Switch Management

KRobert
Head in the Cloud

Augmented Reality for Switch Management

Is there any discussion of adopting an  augmented reality for switch management feature with the Meraki Mobile App? This is a feature that Ubiquiti has and I think it would be an awesome feature to bring to the Meraki lineup.

CMNO, CCNA R+S
6 REPLIES 6
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I do like the sound of that but only has a feature not as a requirement. I would struggle to get some of my staff using AR. 

Definitely just as an added feature. Here is the link to what it looks like. it's pretty cool.
https://unifi-network.ui.com/switching
CMNO, CCNA R+S
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Seems a bit gimmicky to me.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
KRobert
Head in the Cloud

Definitely an added feature, but if setup right, it could save a lot of time compared to using a toner kit to track patch cables and wall ports that aren't labeled, trying to find a port that in an 8 switch stack. I can think of numerous times where I could have used this rather than a toner kit. Gimmicky...potentially, but a cool gimmick none-the-less.
CMNO, CCNA R+S
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@KRobert it does look quite cool, but a bit like the Dell server equivalent, who actually manages devices they see these days?  Our IT teams haven't even visited the country some of our sites are in for over 18 months at a time (in the past before Covid-19) and just manage everything remotely, occasionally using a normal employee as hands if required.

KRobert
Head in the Cloud

@cmr not everyone is a remote worker :-). We still visit locations when we need to pretty regularly, (a little less in the pandemic). The nee to have a normal employee be your hands half way around the world is a great example of a use case for something like this. Imaging an IDF that isn't the most tidy (we all have seen closets like this) and trying to explain to a normal person where to find the right cable. It isn't the easiest. Now imagine that person having augmented reality on there phone that show the person the exact switch, and exact switch port behind a layer of cables. I'll get my "make a wish" script going 🙂
CMNO, CCNA R+S
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.