Does Meraki Support classless IP networks?

ManulLakpura
Here to help

Does Meraki Support classless IP networks?

Dear Community,

I'm new to Meraki. I followed most documentation at https://documentation.meraki.com/ and configured my devices.

1 x MX, 1 x MS, 2 x MRs and 4 x MVs. 

Management VLAN (99) with a subnet of /28 and added it as the native VLAN of the network for all the ports in the MX applliance and did the same in the MS uplink port. After doing that my MS started getting the IP address issued from the default vlan of the MX. Then I was getting a warning in the dashboard of the switch saying that the device is getting an IP from vlan 0 and not getting it from vlan 99. I tried different ways to troubleshoot and finally when I changed the vlan address from /28 to /24 the networking devices started getting IP address from vlan 99.

Does anyone know the reason for it? And Is my question clear?

7 Replies 7
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Did you set the management VLAN of the switch to 99, either on the switch itself or in the general settings for that network?

Yes , I did set both. The switch management interface as well as the switchitself to use vlan 99.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

On Switch Settings change the Native VLAN:

alemabrahao_0-1666559385477.png

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Yes configured it. But the issue persisted. It resolved once I changed the subnet to /24 from /28. Very weird behaviour.

In case of switch stacks, ensure that the management IP subnet does not overlap with the subnet of any configured L3 interface. Overlapping subnets on the management IP and L3 interfaces can result in packet loss when pinging or polling (via SNMP) the management IP of stack members. NOTE: This limitation does not apply to the MS390 series switches.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you configure the native VLAN for the MX and MS to be 99, then any other VLAN will be tagged.

The switch defaults to using VLAN1 for its management VLAN.  So it would have sent a packet with a tag of 1 on it, causing it to use VLAN1 on the MX, not VLAN99.

IMHO, the best solution is to leave the native VLAN as 1 on the ports between the MX and the MS.

Another solution is to configure the MS to use VLAN99 instead of VLAN1 for management.

Thanks for the recomendation.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.