Do meraki have feature to change internal ip to dns?

Solved
GelC
Conversationalist

Do meraki have feature to change internal ip to dns?

Hi

Do meraki mx100 have feature to change a internal ip to a domain name? like 10.x.x.x -> helloworld.com.

or

I need to setup a dns server to do this?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You need a DNS-server for this. A small VM or a Raspberry Pi will be enough for most environments. "unbound" is a linux package that can be used here. It can be very lightweight.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You need a DNS-server for this. A small VM or a Raspberry Pi will be enough for most environments. "unbound" is a linux package that can be used here. It can be very lightweight.

GelC
Conversationalist

Any recommendation for DNS-server that i can use? i'll try to check "ünbound"

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can also use the internal Windows-server if available.

GelC
Conversationalist

Thank you for your help. will try your recommendations

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Can I ask what you're looking to do using this?

Note that an MX automatically obtains a publicly visible DNS hostname - which you can then use as a destination for things like Client VPN, instead of needing to use the public IP address, which may change from time-to-time, depending on your Internet service:   https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Other_Topics/Dynamic_DNS_(DDNS)

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If this is for accessing an internal host from other internal hosts, you can simply edit the "hosts" file on a computer to do this.

https://docs.rackspace.com/support/how-to/modify-your-hosts-file/ 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.