Adding a new Vlan

Solved
IanM-L
Conversationalist

Adding a new Vlan

I would like to add a new vlan to all our switches but cannot see how to do it. I do not have the "Security & SD-WAN" option on the left-hand menu. There is also no "VLAN Profiles" option under "Network-wide". I can see the vlans on each individual switch under "Routing & DHCP", but want to roll it out to all our switches. Thanks in advance for any advice.

1 Accepted Solution
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I assume that you have a little misunderstanding how VLANs work in the Meraki world. It would be good if you show a diagram of your topology.

First you need to distinguish between the ports and switches that connect a device that is member of a specific VLAN and the device that routes the van subnet to other subnets. Th later is what is shown on "Routing & DHCP". This routing can be done on a cap le L3 switch or on the Meraki MX. If you don't have the "Security & SD-WAN" element, you likely don't have an MX in your setup.

The routing needs to be done exactly on one device in your network This needs to be configured. But then you can use the VLANs on the Port-Settings wherever you need and the VLAN is trunked to.

Well, with a diagram it would be easier to give some better advice.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
IanM-L
Conversationalist

I should have added that our network is mostly MS355 and MS225 switches all managed from the Meraki cloud.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I assume that you have a little misunderstanding how VLANs work in the Meraki world. It would be good if you show a diagram of your topology.

First you need to distinguish between the ports and switches that connect a device that is member of a specific VLAN and the device that routes the van subnet to other subnets. Th later is what is shown on "Routing & DHCP". This routing can be done on a cap le L3 switch or on the Meraki MX. If you don't have the "Security & SD-WAN" element, you likely don't have an MX in your setup.

The routing needs to be done exactly on one device in your network This needs to be configured. But then you can use the VLANs on the Port-Settings wherever you need and the VLAN is trunked to.

Well, with a diagram it would be easier to give some better advice.

IanM-L
Conversationalist

Thank you Karsten. I have now realised my initial mistake and fixed it.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.