MX450 Can I use BGP without a VPN?

Solved
DADA
Comes here often

MX450 Can I use BGP without a VPN?

We are considering replacing our ISR4331, which uses BGP on the WAN side, with an MX450.(BGP is only used to communicate with ISPs, no other sites, etc.) When I check the documents, I see VPN (Auto-VPN, etc.) language across the board.(VPN between locations, etc.)

拠点間のVPNなど)

1 Accepted Solution
KH
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey @DADA 

We advertise routes via BGP if they are enabled on the Site to Site VPN Page like below:

KH_0-1724414087880.png

If they are disabled they won't be advertised to your peer.

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
KH
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey @DADA 

If you have a single site without any VPN Peers, you can still use BGP to learn and advertise routes to/from your BGP Neighbor. Those routes however will always be redistributed to AutoVPN Peers if they exist and subnets must be enabled on the VPN Page, otherwise it would just be between you and your neighbor and having AutoVPN peers isn't required for the setup but AutoVPN/Subnets must be enabled.

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it
DADA
Comes here often

Thanks for the reply KH.
What do you mean by “the subnet must be enabled on the VPN page”?
Please tell me.

KH
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey @DADA 

We advertise routes via BGP if they are enabled on the Site to Site VPN Page like below:

KH_0-1724414087880.png

If they are disabled they won't be advertised to your peer.

DADA
Comes here often

Hi!@KH 
Thank you so much!!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.