settings/restrictions not applied

SOLVED
Synerix
Here to help

settings/restrictions not applied

Hello everybody!

I'm trying to set up the SM for 20 tablets. I can push apps out, sound alarms, send messages, wipe selectively and even reset the tablets via the dashboard.

But I seem to be uncapable of configuring settings or restrictions. Usually there are no settings visible on the devices, but sometimes I do see them there. It is totally unpredictable under what cirumstances that happens. Changes to settings in the dashboard are ignored completely by the tablets.

Did a lot of device resets with a lot of different settings and deployment scopes/tags.

My setup doesn't need anything special, all tablets will get the same apps, settings...

Do I need different owners for each tablet?

Do I need device or owner tags at all?

Two years ago, we already had just about the same kind of tablets and I was able to set up everything just fine.

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello again!

Thanks again for all the suggestions... I have tried (almost) everything, but as of yesterday, I am able to add app... again.

In my humble opinion, this is/was a glitch on the dashboard-side. I did not change anything!

BUT... the settings issue is resolved!

There are at least two settings, which will cause problems. They are not just ignored, but when deployed, other settings will not get through to the devices anymore!

So, as long as I don't use "Privacy" or "force incognito-mode for chrome", everything is just fine!

And as soon as I delete such a setting, everything is just fine 🙂

Best wishes for now!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Apple, Android, Chromebook or Windows 10?

Hello! all Android (Samsung Tab A 2018, with latest firmware upgrade 8.1.0) everything else works flawlessly
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are the tablets connecting over WiFi?

The tablets are connected over WiFi.

But I have trouble to deploy apps also. I cannot add apps anymore, and chrome and google apps device policy are not in my list of deployed apps anymore...

I will just give up for now (I'm "just" a teacher, not trained for that kind of problems).

Thank you for trying to help!

PeterJames
Head in the Cloud

Hi @Synerix,

We also found this was an issue for the Systems Manager App version 5.0.3.

Prior to this we were using Systems Manager 4.2.2 and from 5.0.4 it appears to have been resolved. This was very frustrating for ourselves but finally worked it out ourselves; after we started again and re-attempted this...only to release a new Systems Manager version had been released.

(Systems Manager 5.0.4 was released 21/11/2018 in the GMT AM)

Thank you,
Peter James

Hello @PeterJames

Thank you for your comment, it gives me a bit hope 🙂

I have allways updated all apps, including the SM app, right after device setup. I will check later, which version is on my tablets.

I cannot apps via the dashboard though, which is a greater problem right now. I have 23 apps in my list, but for almost a week, I'm not able to add another one.

I type "excel" and it says "no results":

Regards, Erix

Hi @Synerix,

Are you using the new or old interface? What browser?

On the new interface (that has a 'view old version' link at the top), I initially used the search box...but then quickly released the root forward to via  the 'Add App' button. 

Have you tried directly typing in the package name? 

For example https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.office.excel the bit of interest here is the last bit "com.microsoft.office.excel". There are some features on the platform that I have found that need this manually typed.

Thank you,
Peter James

Hello again!

Thanks again for all the suggestions... I have tried (almost) everything, but as of yesterday, I am able to add app... again.

In my humble opinion, this is/was a glitch on the dashboard-side. I did not change anything!

BUT... the settings issue is resolved!

There are at least two settings, which will cause problems. They are not just ignored, but when deployed, other settings will not get through to the devices anymore!

So, as long as I don't use "Privacy" or "force incognito-mode for chrome", everything is just fine!

And as soon as I delete such a setting, everything is just fine 🙂

Best wishes for now!

Hi @Synerix,

Meraki did not depreciate this feature very well and there was little advice their support team could provide. We ended up with a big error on our live environment UI.

See: https://www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-list-3#IncognitoModeEnabled for the depreciated feature.

Thanks for the heads up that the replacement (https://www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-list-3#IncognitoModeAvailability) might/does not work!

Thank you,
Peter James

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels