iOS iCloud restore removes MDM MGMT tools

Solarwind
New here

iOS iCloud restore removes MDM MGMT tools

Case A) Working Perfectly (Normal Behavior)
(Synced from ABM to Meraki SM)                                                       

Brand new or repurposed iPhone\iPad > DEP Profile Assigned or Pushed > User starts the new device > Accepts Remote MGMT > User signs into iCloud or setup later in settings > device is Online in Devices Section of SM    
(DEP shows iPhone as Pushed)

Case B) Working Perfectly (Normal Behavior)

Brand new or repurposed iPhone\iPad  > DEP Profile Assigned or pushed > User starts the new device > Accepts Remote MGMT > User signs into iCloud or setup later in settings  > User performs erase all content and settings > User starts the device again > Accepts Remote MGMT > User signs into iCloud or setup later in settings > device is Online in Devices Section of SM     
(DEP shows Phone as Pushed)

Case C) Not Working

Stolen, brand new or repurposed iPhone\iPad > DEP Profile Pushed > User starts the new device > Selects restore from iCloud , signs into iCloud and selects the latest Backup on iCloud > Accepts Remote MGMT > Device is now offline in Devices sections of SM 
(DEP shows Phone as Pushed)

Case D) Not Working
Synced from ABM to Meraki SM)                                                

Brand new or repurposed  "iPhone\iPad A" > DEP Profile Empty >  User starts the new iPhone\iPad "A"  > Backup data to iCloud > User performs erase all content and settings on Phone\iPad “A” > iPhone\iPad “A” now is put into an assigned status by an Admin > User then restores the backup to iPhone\iPad “B” > Once restore is complete, user now takes the backup of iPhone\iPad “B” and restores this to iPhone\iPad "A" > Accepts remote MGMT > Device is now offline in Devices sections of SM (DEP shows Phone as Pushed)

The only way to get a restore to work without a pushed device becoming offline in the Devices sections of SM > Brand new or repurposed iPhone > Backup to iCloud > then connect the iPhone to the computer with iTunes & perform a DFU; once the DFU is complete, boot the iPhone > select restore from Backup > select the latest backup > Accept Remote MGMT > the device is now restoring and online in Devices sections of SM.

I need to ensure when a user backups their data and performs a restore the device remains online and MGMT tools functional. As it stands now, if a legit restore happens, I am screwed; if a deice is stolen and a restore occurs, I am screwed. This defeats the purpose of an MDM server..

Only option I can think to prevent this from happening is , remove the "Erase all content and settings" in the profiles. I think this is a band-aid solution, but maybe the fix?

DEP PROFILE

Supervise is – Yes

Mandatory - Yes

Removable - No

ABM Settings

unticked allows MDM to remove from ABM

Apple confirms backing up and restoring on the same device is an issue as per Apple Article HT207516 > the workaround to get a device into MDM is Case D 
Apple confirms Case C works with other MDM’s  providers
Apples confirms this is an issue on how Meraki handles restores in the MDM

Thoughts?

3 Replies 3
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes you cannot restore a device and have it's management profile loaded that way, its a security feature to stop side loading of devices using backups. 

It's exactly the same on MacOS. Devices either have to be auto enrolled using DEP or manually enrolled using m.meraki.com and your 10 digit code. 

Solarwind
New here

Apple and Meraki are telling me different; Engineers are telling the device should stay online and their tooled functional after the restore is complete. 

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

My experience is that iCloud backups never enrolled back into Meraki correctly. We turned off the ability to do them just for the reasons you are describing. 

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels