iOS Apps not updating with new 'Keep app up to date' feature

RoboTech
Getting noticed

iOS Apps not updating with new 'Keep app up to date' feature

Has anyone had success with this new feature? After checking the box on a few apps and waiting for iOS 11.3 devices to checkin, I do not see any app updates. Instead I see the following message in the Event Log...

Apr 13 08:11
Available updates response received
-
error: The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.softwareupdateservices.errors error 3.), status: Error
Retrieve restrictions response received
-
Retrieve security information response received
-
List managed applications response received
-
List installed applications response received
-
Retrieve device information response received
-
Available updates command enqueued
-
-
Retrieve restrictions command enqueued
-
-
Retrieve security information command enqueued
-
-
List managed applications command enqueued
-
-
List installed applications command enqueued
-
-
Retrieve device information command enqueued
-
-

37 REPLIES 37
Mark24
Getting noticed

I am seeing the same thing.

Apr 13 12:17 Available updates response received - error: The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.softwareupdateservices.errors error 3.), status: Error

MikeMandalorian
A model citizen

Seeing the same thing 

Same problem here.

Really hope they get this working soon, will be a massive time saver.

same issue

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

I have been cautious in turning it on. Seems Apple has been having problems with update features lately, might not be a Meraki issue.

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
XMB163
Here to help

Same problem for weeks

PatrickL
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Has anyone created a case and stepped through troubleshooting with a support engineer? The keep up to date option has successfully updated thousands of apps already on our backend, so the command error you're seeing may be related to the device checking for OS update availability (and somehow erroring out), and not app updates.

I have a case open, just waiting to hear back. You could be right about the OS update - only devices on the latest version of iOS are returning the error it seems. Could be the return code for "no update available" or something, so the error we're seeing might actually be unrelated to the issue of apps not updating.

But only devices on the latest version of iOS can access the “keep app up to date” feature!

iOS 11.3.1 was released yesterday. I had a device on 11.3 which has been getting the error for the last couple of weeks, but not anymore now that 11.3.1 is out...

Same error for me with an iPad on 11.3.1

FDDB92F1-00EF-4CFA-B87D-A1A240DDEEFC.jpeg

Same error for me on 11.3.1

Any news from any Meraki people on why this isn't working and whether a fix is on the way?

Did any of you push the software update command on iOS 11.3? It puts devices in a loop of software update commands, similar if not identical to what you are seeing.

Not sure what you mean here, Jared?

I've been pushing iOS11.3.1 out to lots of devices that were already on iOS11.3 without any problems.

When iOS 11.3 was released a bug was identified that caused issues with updating/MDM connection to the iOS device. The administrator would push the iOS 11.3 update and it would throw it into a loop, similar to the error you are seeing. Did you push iOS 11.3 with Meraki? 

This is the only thing that has caused similar problems to what you are seeing.

http://piunikaweb.com/2018/04/04/ios-11-3-breaks-apples-mdm-mobile-device-management-protocol/

RoboTech
Getting noticed

Still not working for me, iOS 11.3 or 11.3.1... called Meraki Support to open a case, provided and example app and devices, was escalated to an Engineer and I am waiting for a reply.

Any news on this feature and when it will start working as expected?

Will make a big difference for us and will save us lots of time not having to manually push app updates!

Still not working...

Capture.JPG

I received an update on my support case:

"I confirmed that this seems to be a known issue from the Apple side. We are investigating this issue with Apple. I will keep track of this and will keep you posted with further updates. I appreciate your patience regarding this."

Good to know.
Fingers crossed they sort it soon!

It might just be my imagination, but I think this might now be working under iOS 11.4...

No, I was wrong, this is not working for us.
Although it is not clear to me what the schedule is or the trigger is for making the device check in for updates?

Either way, no updates are coming through, although I am not sure if I am still getting the error message from before, as I cannot find a recent example in the event log.

OK, so this was all triggered by opening the Meraki MDM app on the device.

No error message when checking for updates, as you can see, but no updates either:

events.JPG

Same, no errors anymore but no updates either.

Mark24
Getting noticed

Has anyone had any luck getting this to work yet ?

PeterJames
Head in the Cloud

I made an post back when DoNotDisturb was released and updating the App through SingleApp mode worked, albeit was a bug in 11.2. But that bug has now turned in to a feature. [Link].

So the work around to this thread is to turn on DnD and then send the update, and when you DnD time comes off (say 4am) the app will update.

But preferably I would have liked this as an option, but with a time frame window that you could set for updates. The Meraki Wi-Fi has a firmware update window(!).

I don't quite understand - your suggestion still requires that someone manually sends the update command.

What we are waiting for is apps (that have "keep app up to date" ticked) automatically updating without anyone having to manually send an update command.

Yes, but you can manually send it up to 7 days in advance.

But I do completely agree this feature should just work! The above workaround could help in the interim.

Thank you,

Peter James

The "keep app up to date" feature is still not working for us.

Has anyone else managed to set it up so that apps update automatically as soon as updates become available?

I haven't gotten it working myself. Last i heard from Meraki support is that it might be fixed in iOS 12...

Still not working here. Also been told they're looking into it with iOS 12. Can't believe it's been 5 months and still isn't fixed.

PeterJames
Head in the Cloud

We can test this feature on Monday/Tuesday, when iOS12 is released.

I really hope it works now...

Thank you,
Peter James

Tested today with iOS 12, on a device running several old apps. Disappointed to report that it hasn't worked thus far.

All the apps have the "keep app up to date" feature checked, and I have refreshed the app details and saved to make the new versions available.

JAMF have this feature. It's been 6 months Cisco. How much longer?

We're still having this problem on our 630 iPads... all apps are set to update automatically, but they don't. Some apps won't even open anymore until they're updated, but are not updating automatically. This has been going on for months for us and Meraki don't seem to know or care, which is frankly ridiculous. Any help much appreciated!

Noah_Salzman
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Send me a case number in a private message, thanks, I'll take a look. 

Thanks Noah, that's really kind. It's beyond a joke now... The case ID is:

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels