iOS 15 Beta MDM Profile Not Installing

BenM
Just browsing

iOS 15 Beta MDM Profile Not Installing

I am having an issue with my MDM Profile created in Meraki System Manager. I have multiple certificates and wifi networks programmed in the main device profile and it will not install. I reported it to Apple and they said it is due to vendor configuration as they changed how profiles are installed for iOS 15 (response below). 

In the activity log for the device which is newly enrolled on iOS 15 waiting for config push I see:

Error: The payloads in this profile do not have unique PayloadIdentifier values. (“com.meraki.sm.wifi” is used more than once.)

Error: The payloads in this profile do not have unique PayloadIdentifier values. (“com.meraki.sm.credential” is used more than once.)

To troubleshoot I made a profile with a single certificate and single wifi network which was successfully pushed to the device. The one with multiple never gets pushed to the device. 

Apple's response: 

Thanks for contacting us.  This is an issue specific to a third-party.

The PayloadIdentifier values in payloads in the profile being installed are not unique. PayloadIdentifier must be unique for each payload in a profile. iOS 15 and macOS 12 are now enforcing this requirement (which existed before but was not treated as an error). This change was required to ensure profile/payload updates work properly.

Please have your MDM server vendor fix this problem.  There is no Apple issue here.

4 REPLIES 4
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@BenM I'm not really surprised at Apple's response.  They make changes all the time and simply blame 3rd parties that try to integrate with them. 

I'm sure Meraki will update the way profiles are distributed, but it's likely to be some time after iOS15 is GA.

We use a different MDM by IBM and have had numerous issues where new Apple iOS versions have broken third party devices, or even the whole MDM...

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You'll need to open a support case for that one.

I read that as Apple have made changes to the way managed devices work and that MDM vendors need to update their software to be compatible. This is nothing new and given iOS 15 is in BETA I am not surprised it doesn't work.

Meraki usually doesn't have zero day support for Apple systems.

Thanks! I sent in a support email but haven't heard back for several days now. Hopefully they figure it out before iOS 15's GA release.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels