iOS 11.3 Breaking MDM Connection

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

iOS 11.3 Breaking MDM Connection

Saw this report this morning. Haven’t updated anything yet, not sure if Meraki is impacted.

http://piunikaweb.com/2018/04/04/ios-11-3-breaks-apples-mdm-mobile-device-management-protocol/

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7
MikeMandalorian
A model citizen

Good stuff , thanks for the info ,, I updated my test Ipad to 11.3 and ran a full remote test didn't have any issues with sending commands , so hope fully they release a bug fix before i have to update the fleet 

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

I can confirm that Meraki is also having issues with iOS 11.3. It appears to only be affecting iPads that a reset and need to complete the re-enrollment process. Any iPads that are user updated to 11.3 seem to be functioning correctly and accepting commands from Meraki.

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Typical Apple, breaking things. Thanks for testing @vassallon.

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

Yeah I found this out on Monday as we received an iPad back from a local police department that had been offline for over a year. I DFU reset the iPad to clear any information and updated to iOS 11.3 and then was unable to get it to update once it enrolled back into Meraki. The iPad would check in but not install any profiles or Apps. A quick look at logs through Apple Configurator 2 and XCode showed multiple failures so I immediately opened tickets with Meraki and Apple and after a day of troubleshooting we were able to identify the issue and determine that Apple had saw the issue affecting other MDMs also. 

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

I pushed iOS 11.3 to a test iPad and it installed just fine. Seems to be responding to commands, installing apps from Self Service, checking-in, etc. 

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

Yes, that seems to be okay. The issue doesn't seem to crop up until you reset an iPad and it re-enrolls into Meraki, I have been able to recreate this issue multiple times. The last communication I had is that Meraki and Apple were working on a fix to resolve the issue that is causing iPads to stop accepting commands. 

PatrickL
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

We did see this manifest in a few cases where devices were upgraded to iOS 11.3 via MDM. We pushed out a fix for the unhandled 'idle' response which appears to have resolved nearly all affected devices, but we're continuing to investigate potential edge cases.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels