Why can't managed ios devices sync their keychain in icloud?

Solved
TuckersD
New here

Why can't managed ios devices sync their keychain in icloud?

It seems like there is some restriction preventing our managed iPads from having the option to sync their keychain in iCloud. I have tested things with a device with NO RESTRICTIONS, but the option is still unavailable. This is really important since the iCloud keychain contains the predictive text that the iPad has learned over time as the employees use them. If they change devices, they have to "start over". They get used to the iPad predicting what text they want to write based on their history and it takes much longer to type invoices with a new device. Has anyone found a way to set up iCloud keychain with ios devices managed with Meraki or know why it is disabled?

TuckersD_0-1683725862791.png

TuckersD_1-1683726243415.png

1 Accepted Solution
ekramer
Getting noticed

I believe this is not an issue with device management or supervision, but managed Apple IDs are documented to have certain limitations.  See https://support.apple.com/guide/apple-business-manager/use-managed-apple-ids-axm78b477c81/web for more information.

I believe the issue has to do with managed Apple IDs not using 2FA in the same way as personal Apple IDs. In otherwords, the user doesn't hold all the security keys with managed Apple IDs.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
ekramer
Getting noticed

I believe this is not an issue with device management or supervision, but managed Apple IDs are documented to have certain limitations.  See https://support.apple.com/guide/apple-business-manager/use-managed-apple-ids-axm78b477c81/web for more information.

I believe the issue has to do with managed Apple IDs not using 2FA in the same way as personal Apple IDs. In otherwords, the user doesn't hold all the security keys with managed Apple IDs.

TuckersD
New here

Well, I really appreciate you solving that mystery for me! What a bummer. Thanks! I may follow up directly with apple to see if there are other solutions.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels