VPP replaced with Apple Business Manager

Dan2
Conversationalist

VPP replaced with Apple Business Manager

So our VPP token expired and it won't let you log in to Apple to renew it. I was off sick when this happened, but apparently we've had to create an Apple Business Manager account with a new email address, and add that to Meraki.

However, we've purchased quite a few apps on the old account which we can obviously no longer assign out. My boss said Apple alluded we may be able to migrate the old licenses on to the new account. Is it best practise to do this then remove the old VPP account? Will I still be able to uninstall apps installed with the previous VPP account?

Thanks,

Dan

5 Replies 5
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Dan2  you can link legacy VPP acocunts to ABM

We had the same thing seperate DEP and VPP account before Apple released ABM and ASM, we linked both accoutns and now all is well. There should be a support number you can call if you get stuck. 

@BlakeRichardson , so I presume I just follow these steps to link the old VPP account to my new business manager account? https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207867

Then go to Organization > Configure> MDM in Meraki and remove the old VPP account so the old apps aren't listed twice?

Thanks,

Dan

@Dan2  Yes just follow those steps. Re setup in Meraki I don't think I had to change anything as the original VPP account is still working you just administer it through ABM now instead of the old VPP login. 

@BlakeRichardson thanks.

Not Meraki related, but do you use Apple Configurator? I'm wondering if I'll still be able to manage my iPads I configured with it if I change the sign in to the new account

Thanks,

Dan

@Dan2 

Yes you can still use configurator with ABM / ASM. I do use it for iPhones as most retailers in my country can't register iPhones in DEP for some reason so I have to do it manually. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels