Unable to leave Kiosk Mode

HarryHW
New here

Unable to leave Kiosk Mode

We are having an issue with leaving kiosk mode on Android 11 devices. We do the 6 long presses as we do not want to remove the policy from the device. Once that has been done we enter our passcode to leave Kiosk mode and the screen flashes straight back to Kiosk Mode.

The device i am using currently for troubleshooting and testing is on SM 5.6.1

Has anyone else had issues along these lines and found a solution?

7 Replies 7
AndrewZ
Comes here often

Same issue here.

Android 11 with SM 5.7.7

BuryDigital
Here to help

Same issue here.

AndrewZ
Comes here often

Found a possible fix that has worked on the half dozen I've tried it on.

As dumb as it sounds, if airplane mode is on, even if there is an active WiFi connection it won't unlock.

Boot to safe mode, turn off airplane mode, exit safe mode (restart) and it unlocks without issue.

Tested successfully on Galaxy Tab A & A7

Android 11

Meraki SM version 5.7.9 (2269)

Hi,

I've tried your fix on Galaxy Tab A 10.4 (SM-T500) and whilst it worked the first time it doesn't work after the 2nd, 3rd attempts.

Android 11

SM version 5.8.0

Pooley
New here

HI Harry,

I have exactly the same issue as you and with over 200 devices this is a real problem. The method for removing Kiosk Mode used to work fine. I think an update to android version 11 broke it. I am not getting very far with Meraki Support either. Any suggestions are welcome.

KevinUK
Here to help

Had same problem:

Trying to exit kiosk on Samsung Galaxy A12 (SM-A127F)

Android version is 11
Patch level is 1st March 2022 (release 1)

App version is 5.8.0
Network-configured Agent version is 3.1.2

Meraki Actions Taken
Advised this is a known issue - attached to the parent bug report
Anecdotal notes from Support engineers state Android 12 does not experience this, noted it appears to be arriving for this model possibly in the next few months
Suggest to test if it becomes available, otherwise we will update with any changes in the bug report status

https://www.androidcentral.com/when-will-my-phone-get-android-12

Suggests that Android 12 should be available to upgrade in July 22 - will see!

PaulF
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I received confirmation that a new version of the SM Android app 5.8.2 was released last week and should resolve this Kiosk mode exit issue. It may some time for Google to froll out the app if you cannot find the updated version....

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels