Suggestion For MDM: Reverse Geofencing

Ponceme
Getting noticed

Suggestion For MDM: Reverse Geofencing

I would like to make a suggestion for Geofencing. I would like to set zones that the driver should not enter for a certain amount of time.

My company delivers all over the state of Florida, however, the drivers should never be in their neighborhood. The way I set it up now (Which is very tedious) is I locate the drivers residence on the map, then make the entire state of Florida (with multiple area point) his allowed area, and leaving about 150-300 meters around his residence blank (The no go zone). 

I think it would be simple to set a point area as a Not allowed. Let me know if there is another way to do this or maybe this is something that could be implemented. 

9 REPLIES 9
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have wished for this feature as well.  The last use case I had was a client wanting to know about company phones going overseas - because they have had big roaming data bills in the past.  The idea being you contact the person before they leave the country.  My initial thoughts was to geo-fence the major international air ports.  They you know a person is probably just about to leave - before they have left.

I ended up having to geo-fence the entire country which generates an alert after they have left.

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

How often does Geo-Fence update. I tried this with device restrictions - setting wallpaper everytime a device arrived at the office, but it seemed very delayed.

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
jared_f
Kind of a big deal

There is also no way of forcing location services for the Meraki MDM app, users can easily turn it off.

They cant turn anything off in Kiosk mode.

The Geofences themselves don't update. Its the device that sends the current location. Its constantly sending the location. I set the grace period for when the device leaves its assigned areas to 30 minutes.

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

But, it is still unreliable sometimes my laptop and phone is in a different state. Not very accurate. 

Well my devices are quite accurate and track location very well. I am asking for a simple switch on geofencing to make an identified area a No-Go zone. Right now, you can only make areas a Go-zone and everything not identified is a no-go zone.

Melissa
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Here's some information about how SM approximates location on devices - hopefully this explains some of the accuracy differences between laptops and supervised iOS - especially in single app mode with the SM app running the background! @Ponceme @jared_f

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Monitoring_and_Reporting/How_Systems_Manager_Approximates_the_Lo...

As for your question about no-go zones @Ponceme, would it help to create geofencing policies around the driver's houses and rethink what "compliance" means for those policies?

For example, I might suggest making a geofencing policy that is only selecting the driver's residence. Let's say you called it, "DriverHome". When the device is in the no go zone / at home, a  "DriverHome_compliant" tag would automatically be added to the device in SM. When the device is not shown in the no go zone / at home would also automatically get a DriverHome_violating tag. 

You could pull these tags into your main view in the Clients page, or set up an automatic report (Systems Manager>Alerts) of violating and compliant-after-violating devices. 

If that doesn't sound like it would help, I would say please submit the feature request in the "Make a Wish" box at the bottom of any dashboard page 🙂 

This doesn't work, I think that you should work on something like FORBIDDEN AREAS.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels