SingleApp mode : Push iOS11 update command twice. Bug or Feature?

PeterJames
Head in the Cloud

SingleApp mode : Push iOS11 update command twice. Bug or Feature?

With a device in SingleApp mode you can push an iOS update command, the device downloads the iOS update in the background. It does not leave SingleApp mode during this process and no errors occur.

Some time later with the device still in SingleApp mode, and enough time has passed for the download to complete, you push another iOS update command.

The result:
 - The device will override the SingleApp mode and update without warning. Unfortunately after the device restarts, it freezes until a hard reboot occurs. I believe because the iOS11 has some messages to show, but the device wants to be in SingleApp mode.

Meraki Support - Is this a feature or a bug?

It would be great, like other MDM Solutions, to have a way to push a download in the background and then install it later.

Thank you,
Peter James

10 REPLIES 10
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Sounds like a bug to me (because it does not work as intended).  However if Apple have put this requirement in place it will be difficult for Cisco Meraki to do anything about it.  Perhaps the upgrade process could take the device out of single app mode, do the update, and then put it back into single app mode.

All options sound messy.

@PhilipDAth Thank you.

I have raised a support case with the Meraki Support Team, it just took a few days of explaining.

I will update with what they come back with.

Thank you,
Peter James

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Seems like a bug to me. Good luck getting Meraki to fix anything, I have been bugging them to fix the same bugs for months now.

Jared

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!

@jared_f To get things changed, it is hard barrier to overcome. Personally, I get the feeling their SM Solution is not their main product and find myself having to either repeat myself or explain back to the support how their product works.

Thank you,
Peter James

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Exactly @PeterJames, I have been testing our AirWatch, Jamf Pro (Casper Suite), and Mobile Iron and to be quite honest, they are quite comparable to Meraki, but they come with quite the cost (with Meraki we get the first 100 devices free). Meraki is really only missing a few features for us. You are right, their support is horrendous. I was having some issues and it seems like they don't even know their own product.

Jared

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@jared_fthe 100 device free promo finished a while ago.  There are no free licences now.

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth I did not know that. I just went to the Dashboard and looked at the licensing info and we still have 100 free licenses in our account. Must be grandfathered in to the plan.

Jared

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Correct, only accounts that already have it can keep it.  However the free licences are not getting any of the new Systems Manager features (such as 3G data usage tracking).  Also if you purchase any licences they replace the 100 free ones.  So if you have 100 free licences and buy 25 licences you end up with 25 licences.

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth Interesting. We really don't use the data tracking ability (which we have in Dashboard now) because it doesn't seem reliable (similar to the GPS). Honestly, we are switching to Jamf Pro (Casper Suite) or AirWatch within the next few months,.

@PhilipDAth This got us.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels