Pushing Outlook settings to iOS

syang-IT
New here

Pushing Outlook settings to iOS

I'm trying to push Outlook app settings on iOS, but not having any success.  When I open Outlook, it still prompts for username/email.  Do I need to setup the Exchange ActiveSync Email setting as well? 

4 REPLIES 4
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I do have an Exchange ActiveSync profile setup and it's working; however, it defaults to the Apple iOS mail app.  Their email account is automatically populated through the ActiveSync profile, so all they have to do is enter their password and that's it.  I'm planning on pushing Outlook to all devices and use that as the default email app.  So what I really want is for it to pretty much work the same way.  Once Outlook is deployed, all they would have to do is open the app and it should already have their email account populated and all they would have to do is just type in the password.  Any ideas?  

PaulF
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

So, let me start with the bad news:

O365 / Microsoft deprecated username / password (badly) this year. This left a lot of people with no email access as their accounts / devices were still set to username / password but their Exchange servers / O365 was set to ADAL / Modern Authentication. And here lies the bad news:With Modern Auth / OAUTH you can't just set the username and hope that the user types in their password.

The authentication flow is completely different and, at best, setting the username may remove just one of the two places that a user will be requested for their email address

Now, the good news: Outlook now (if didn't used to be) has a great set of managed app capability: This allows you to configure a whole host of things.

Assuming that you've got the Outlook app added Under Systems Manager > Apps :

Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 9.40.29 AM.png

I hope that helps. Let us know how you get on.

Hello Paul, thanks for providing me with this info!  

I copied exactly what you had in your Managed App Config, tested on a fresh supervised iPhone and this is what I get when I open Outlook.  

Outlook_iOS_test-1.jpg

It doesn't automatically populate the email account, but it does show up in that suggestion bar above the keyboard.  I would rather have it locked down to the account that was pushed through the ActiveSync.  Maybe I'm missing additional settings? 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels