Migrate old iPad to new iPad

ArbieIgnacio
Just browsing

Migrate old iPad to new iPad

Hi everyone,

Is SM able to migrate old iPads to new iPads?  Both are on SM and in DEP.  We periodically refresh users with new devices and wondering if we can automate/remotely do it via SM rather than manually doing it with the user.  Any input will be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Jeffrey_Lane
Here to help

I use a combination of Meraki and the Apple managed AppleID to set quickly transfer users from one iPad to another.

I preset the new iPad with the same tags, etc. and then use a new iPad and have the user login to the new iPad with the same AppleID and all iCloud stuff is moved over the network.

If there’s a better way please tell me!!!

Hi Jeffrey,

What do you mean by Apple managed AppleID?  The Apple ID you login to DEP dashboard?  

"I preset the new iPad with the same tags, etc. and then use a new iPad and have the user login to the new iPad with the same AppleID and all iCloud stuff is moved over the network." 

So you give your user the new iPad, then when they login with the same AppleID they had on the old one, all of their stuff (that are of course iCloud synced) follows them to the new one?  I may have a problem with that as we have some users that do not have or even refuse to create an apple id but of course expect or insist of getting the old stuff on to the new ones.  

Also, I accidentally clicked on the mark as solution button, lol.  I'm such a newb.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@ArbieIgnacio He means an Apple ID created using ABM / ASM NOT to AppleID used to login to it. The easiest way to migrate to a new device is by storing data in iCloud.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels