Meraki MDM Apple Push Certificate Expiring. What happens to iPads after expiring.

AaronTeh
Conversationalist

Meraki MDM Apple Push Certificate Expiring. What happens to iPads after expiring.

Hello, I have a Meraki MDM Apple Push Certificate that is expiring.

Can I double check if the iPads enrolled will continue to work as normal even if the Meraki MDM Apple Push Certificate expires?

6 REPLIES 6
vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@AaronTeh 

I would advise getting that profile updated before it expires, otherwise you will have to re-enroll all of your devices.

You do not under any circumstances want to let it expire. I believe if you do, you lose all functionality to control the iPads through the Dashboard until they are re-enrolled.

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Device_Enrollment/Apple_MDM_Push_Certificate#Renewing_an_Apple_M...

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

Hi @vassallon 

Thanks for the update. Got 2 more questions:

1) If I want to use a new Apple Push Certificate, will I still need to reenrol all the devices? Do you have a KB on that process?

2) Just in case some iPads get missed during the reenrolment process after the current Apple Push Certificate expires, will the iPads still work as per normal (but I just cannot remotely manage them)?

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@AaronTeh,

1. It appears that based on the Meraki Documentation you will need to re-enroll all of the devices.

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Device_Enrollment/Apple_MDM_Push_Certificate#Renewing_an_Apple_M...

2. Yes, the iPads will continue to function but will not longer receive commands or update in the Meraki Dashboard until they are fixed.

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
ConnorL
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

As a friendly FYI:

* MDM communications will stop working after the APNS (Apple Push Cert) expires
* However, you can renew this cert even AFTER it has expired and then MDM communications will work again
* Always renew the cert, do not generate a new one else you will need to re-enrol all devices again
RuthxD
Conversationalist

Please can you explain to me how you can renew the cert after expiration because I was under the impression that isn't possible! Needless to say, mine has expired and I'm faced with redoing a vast number of ipads so clutching at straws here .....

RuthxD
Conversationalist

FYI despite not hearing back, that small comment did just save my summer! I was able to renew the certificate and re-establish contact so anyone who this has happened to, don't lose heart, you can renew the existing certificate and all is right with the world once more! Thanks for the tip.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels