MDM blocking hotel access

Jeff_Longley
Getting noticed

MDM blocking hotel access

Bit of an odd one...

Had multiple users tell me Meraki MDM blocks hotel hotspot access. They can connect to the network, but the captive portal page never shows up.

I've not seen it personally (have MDM on my phone), but users advise if they delete the system manager app, they can then connect.

Anyone heard similar, or know of a fix?

6 REPLIES 6
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

I have this problem sometimes, but for me it's not related to Systems Manager or Meraki.

I have http://fixwifi.it/ in my bookmarks, that usually forces the captive portal to open.

antonis_sp
Building a reputation

Hotspot access usually relies on capturing DNS requests from clients and redirecting them to the captive portal for login.

Policies set on the device (commonly seen with domain-joined devices) cause issues in the redirection.

now thats interesting.... As part of our MDM deployment, we deploy Cisco security (Umbrella) to do DNS filtering... Could be another avenue to investigate.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would be very surprised if this has anything to do with the MDM agent.

I wonder if when they remove the MDM agent they reboot and the reboot is resolving it.

The second thing I wonder if it is just a time issue, and by spending extra time removing the MDM they are masking the issue - and it is the elapsed time that has sorted the issue rather than the software removal.

Given that its on Iphones (which don't need a reboot once the app is removed), so far, the MDM agent is looking like the likely problem.
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

Presently I am spending time at an organisation that has a singularly awful WiFi. It frequently "appears" to hand out IPv6 IP addresses to client devices expecting IPv4 addresses. The result is that there is no access to the internet.

My solution has been to stand under the closest AP with a mobile phone, restart the phone and then make a functioning connection to the AP. Having done this, I go back to where I am using the laptop and tether the phone to it.

This works.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels