Issues with App in Kiosk Mode

sbhtadmin
Conversationalist

Issues with App in Kiosk Mode

I am using Kiosk mode on a Samsung Tab A to present the Transflo transportation app. I am having an issue where the device gets unplugged, loses power and the screen dims.Even once the power is restored and the tablet recharged the screen stays as the lowest setting and the tablet becomes very hard to use. 2 issues with the Kiosk mode. 1. I do not see any way to grant the user the ability to restore the power settings to a usable level. 2. When in Kiosk mode the normal systems indications including power level in the upper right do not display.If these could display in Kiosk mode it would at least provide a visual representation of the battery level.

I do have the power saving mode turned off under the advanced battery setting.

4 REPLIES 4
PaulF
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi

Hopefully the issue of not being able to see the status bar should be resolved in the next few months

As for the ability to change the screen dimming: I believe that to be an android / Samsung issue. Sorry!

sbhtadmin
Conversationalist

While I agree that the issue with dimming is an Android issue, the inability of the user to be able to interact with the settings to reset the screen brightness is something that might be addressable. In the Meraki settings is it possible to create a whitelist for settings and some granularity to allow the user to interact with some of the settings. 

Wade
Conversationalist

I am having the same issue. Samsung Tab A as well. Android version 11. Systems Manager Agent version 5.8.5. Once the battery loses power the screen goes dim. Tablet gets plugged in and charged, but screen remains dim, and I am unable to exit Kiosk mode at that point as well. The only way to move forward is factory reset the tablet and start from scratch.

sbhtadmin
Conversationalist

Wade,

I have found a procedure that can be done by the end user that will allow them to get in and update the process.

Fixing Screen Dimming

**Note – This can be done at any time and will not affect hours of service

1. Turn off the tablet by holding down the power button until the Power Off and Restart buttons appear then select Power Off twice
  2. Wait about 10 seconds then press the power button until the tablet starts

**Note – You must be quick on swiping down as soon as the screen 1 image appears, otherwise screen 2 will not appear and you will have to power off again

1. During startup the tablet will go through the following screens: A black Samsung screen, Red Hello screen, Verizon with dots screen then the screen 1 image will appear. As soon as it comes up swipe down from the top and screen 2 will appear

Screen 1                                                                  Screen 2

sbhtadmin_0-1655840702733.jpeg

sbhtadmin_1-1655840702740.jpeg

1. Move the bottom slider on Screen 2 to midpoint then swipe up once to close the menu and once to load the Cisco Meraki screen and Transflo Mobile can be started.

**Note – Do not change anything else as it may make the tablet unusable

I also created a Meraki 2nd profile with out the Kiosk mode settings that allows removing Kiosk mode long enough to also change the settings. Android apps is the primary. When I need to remove Kiosk I just change the installed profile on the device to remove Kiosk. With the device onsite this only takes a couple of minutes to udpate.

sbhtadmin_2-1655840896278.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels