In the Meraki dashboard, the MacBook displays as an iPhone

paulgavinz
Just browsing

In the Meraki dashboard, the MacBook displays as an iPhone

I have an issue with a Macbook that shows up as an Iphone in the Meraki dashboard. This causes an issue when it tries to access the company network. Because on that SSID we have enforced group policies by device types that blocks every device typ without Windows computers and Macs.

Is there a way around this or do I need to allow Iphones as well?

Thu mua macbook cũ
Thu mua iPhone cũ giá cao tại tphcm
Tuấn Nguyễn Mobile chuyên thu mua iphone cũ, Macbook cũ giá cao tại TPHCM… Hỗ trợ thu iPhone, Macbook cũ tại nhà – cơ quan, thu cũ lên đời. Tuấn Nguyễn thu không ngại số lượng và tình trạng của máy.
Địa Chỉ: 219/69 Đ. Đỗ Thị Lời, Phường 11, Quận 3, Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh

1 Reply 1
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The truth is that device identification is not 100% accurate.

Client Identification

The access point will use the User-Agent string field of an HTTP GET request packet to determine the operating system of the client when it first associates, and allow or deny access accordingly. This can be observed in a packet capture, and may be helpful to gather for troubleshooting if a client doesn't appear to have the appropriate policy applied. 

Note: Some clients may misidentify themselves when specifying the User-Agent string field of an HTTP GET request. Device type policy enforcement is done on a best-effort basis, dependent upon the information that the client provides. When needing to enforce security-focused policies based on device type, please leverage solutions such as Meraki Systems Manager, or Cisco ISE. 

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels