Deploy MDM Profile & Agent in One Package

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Deploy MDM Profile & Agent in One Package

As I have been testing our Mac management I wanted to enroll our devices with the MDM Profile and Meraki Agent to get full management capability. I found these two useful commands to install the profile and  agent both at the same time. I just placed the profile and package in private/var via and installer and then used these two commands in a post install script to trigger it:

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 11.28.45 PM.png

Just wanted to share if anybody else is looking to do something similar,

Jared

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
17 REPLIES 17
sshort
Building a reputation

@jared_f Are you placing the .pkg in that location during a NetInstall process? Or are you using another image creation tool? I never had success getting System Image Utility to accept the .pkg (NetInstall would always fail following the OS install) so I'm currently using Munki to load the Meraki agent onto my Macs. Would love a more integrated process like this...

I'm using DEP, so I don't need the profile to be installed this way, just the agent...

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

I am currently deploying this via this package manually on each machine. Does DEP support the agent being installed OTA?

~Jared

sshort
Building a reputation

Apple does have an InstallApplication framework (and Jamf supports this with just a profile/DEP only) but Meraki is using this separate agent. Haven't figured out a way to install the agent via a profile, unfortunately 😞

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

When I had a trial of Jamf Pro I loved the Mac management. The only part that stopped me from purchasing and moving was the rudeness I experienced with my sales agent, it took four months to get a trial setup. Their healthcare team was great and I was ready to send over a PO, but they would not honor our first quote and increased the device minimum. They also charge a ridiclous ammount for a JumpStart.

Melissa
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Good news! Meraki has recently started a beta of this feature - deploying the agent and enrollment profile for macOS through DEP. Please reach out if you'd like to be a part of the beta 🙂 

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

@Melissa I would be willing to beta this (any basically any other MDM feature lol)!

sshort
Building a reputation

@Melissa exciting!! yes, i'm very interested in testing this feature

Would love to to be a part of the beta!

@Melissa Would love to be part of the beta as well.

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Just got a minute to try it out. Great updates... loving the ease of deployment for software. Maybe I can finally move to DEP enrollment with our Macs.

Jared

RM
Comes here often

Hi Melissa,

Please keep us posted as to when this feature leaves beta. Thanks!

I would like to be part of this beta! Also do you have a roadmap somewhere so we can see which features are in the pipeline?

Cotis
Conversationalist

Hi @Melissa - I would love to join the beta program too!

Melissa
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi everyone! Please hang tight on this beta program...I should have more to share soon.

Was there ever more information posted on this?

PaulK
Conversationalist

beks88
A model citizen

We are deploying Macs through DEP since August 18' and everything works fine, agent and profile are being installed OTA, you just need to add the agent to your Apps enrollment as described on the page posted by @PaulK

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels