Custom Apple Profiles not working anymore

SOLVED
GavinW
Conversationalist

Custom Apple Profiles not working anymore

In the last couple of days I have noticed that my custom apple profiles for iOS and macOS no longer work. They have been working since I uploaded them several months ago. Both are WiFi profiles created in Profile Manager containing Wifi & Certificates for Enterprise 802.1x authentication.

Manually installing the respective profiles on a macOS and iOS device works successfully, and connects to the wifi network. I can upload the files to Systems Manager as a custom Apple profile, but on iOS it gives the error: 

Code: 1000
Domain: MCProfileErrorDomain

Error: The profile “Settings for All.IOS Wifi Config Profile” is invalid.
Error: The payload “Settings for All.IOS Wifi Config Profile” is invalid.
Error: The field “PayloadContent” is invalid.

And on macOS it gives the error:
Code: -50
Domain: ConfigProfilePluginDomain

Error: Error = -50
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MattMorg
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey @GavinW thank you for sharing this example with the community! We have updated the way Systems Manager sends custom .mobileconfig profiles which should have resolved this "Error = -50" problem you are seeing.

Can you try to install your custom .mobileconfig from Systems Manager again? 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
adamw1
Here to help

I too get this error and its with an existing profile which was working not more than a month ago. I reckon its to do with the new custom profile update that was recently launched. 

So I think I figured it out.

• I tried reuploading the profile which failed
  • I tried adding new devices to obtain the profile which failed
  • I tried an unsigned profile... it worked

See if an unsigned profile works for you

EDIT:

Maybe not, its certificates that cause it. I added a certificate to the profile and it broke!

I had the same problem.  I was able to get it working by installing the certs into my meraki generated profiles then on a mac running:

profiles list

find the profileid

profiles show profileid

Find the certificate required and grab the UUID

_computerlevel[1] payload[9] name = CertificateName
_computerlevel[1] payload[9] description = Credential
_computerlevel[1] payload[9] type = com.apple.security.pkcs1
_computerlevel[1] payload[9] organization = Meraki, Inc.
_computerlevel[1] payload[9] identifier = com.meraki.sm.credential

_computerlevel[1] payload[9] uuid = c59e77b0-3ea7-0137-75cd-6d6572616b69

Remove the certificates from the .mobileconfig and paste the UUID into the payloadcertificateid 

<key>PayloadCertificateUUID</key>
<string>c59e77b0-3ea7-0137-75cd-6d6572616b69</string>

GavinW
Conversationalist

Looks like someone else is having a similar problem - https://community.meraki.com/t5/Endpoint-Management-Systems/Custom-Apple-Profiles-data-payloads-are-...

It appears to be due to the <data> payloads, which would make sense why it breaks when adding a certificate.
MattMorg
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey @GavinW thank you for sharing this example with the community! We have updated the way Systems Manager sends custom .mobileconfig profiles which should have resolved this "Error = -50" problem you are seeing.

Can you try to install your custom .mobileconfig from Systems Manager again? 

GavinW
Conversationalist

Working on both iOS and macOS. Thanks!

@Howiedoit "Empty profile" error could happen if you're targeting iOS only payloads to a macOS device (or vice versa), or if the profile is genuinely empty. Can you contact Meraki support and open a case to investigate your device/profile specific configurations? Feel free to direct message me a case number afterwards if you need another look. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels