Apps wont always update on ios + wifi cant be turned off

John2000
New here

Apps wont always update on ios + wifi cant be turned off

2 issues here-

Apps dont always auto update for my managed apps. I have Keep app up to date enabled. The user sometimes will try to go to the app store , find the app, and try to update it but the apple store wont let them since they did not "purchase it", even its a free app. I sometimes login to the meraki site and try to push specific app updates out, then do a check in but that does not always work. All our devices now have unlimited data so Im not worried about data usage anymore.  Whats the best way to make sure these apps stay updated and is there anyway to have users update the apps manually ?

Also with ios 13 the wifi is always enabled and cant be turned off. Not sure if this is a apple issue or meraki issue? Anyway to allow users to be able to turn off their wifi?

1 Reply 1
Seshu
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello @John2000 

I will try to clarify on the Managed App updates having issues on certain iOS devices - 

1. When a User manually tries to update an App pushed through VPP License Assignment - User-controlled automatic updates are only available to apps with licenses assigned via User assignment

2. The Install/Update action from the dashboard would only take effect when the iOS device is connected to the network (which I would assume is fine as you mentioned unlimited Data) and has the screen unlocked. The update will not immediately take effect if the phone has the screen locked. This is an Apple Restriction.

3. In order for the Apps to remain updated, try and check the "Attempt to manage unmanaged" box on the App details page on the dashboard one time and then push the Install/Update button post this change to all the devices in the scope. This should install the app with this setting and should keep the app updated in future.

If you still face any issue with the updates on any device, I would recommend opening a support case so that our team can dig deeper into the logs on the specific device and guide you better with the next steps.

For the WiFi toggle on the iOS devices, it would depend on the Restrictions Payload in the profile installed on the device. This might be a combination of options checked/unchecked within this payload. I would recommend opening a case for this so that we can look at your Profile.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Meraki Team

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels