Apps won't download

sillylilly
Here to help

Apps won't download

I been using Meraki for 5 years now.  Never had an issue downloading or deleting apps up until now.  I manage 12 iPads through Meraki.  This week I was in the process of updating apps, installing new apps, and deleting apps.  I'm not new to this so its not about pushing.   However, iPads 1-5 were able to update.  I Pads 6-11 did not.  When I check the activity log in Meraki, it says "Pending".  It shows 4 pages of pending activity!  When I go to the Meraki app on the iPad, it shows the apps in the "missing" section.  I click on the cloud with the down arrow to download and it will spin (buffering) for hours and never download the "pending" apps.  So how can it appear in the pending section and not follow through?  This has got me so boggled.  I can not contact Meraki by phone because it doesn't show my account number.  Please help!

15 Replies 15
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In my experience, you leave this for 24 hours and come back, and it is magically working again.

Nope - didn't work.  I tried checking in at 24 and 48 hrs.  Will not download.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you tried turning the iPads off and back on?, no I'm not saying it to be smart but sometimes they get stuck in a funk and a simple power recycle fixes the issue. 

Also check the MDM cert on the devices hasn't expired. 

Thank you.  I accept simple and complex solutions.  The first thing I tried was shutting down.  Each of the problem iPads have now been rebooted about 5 times each.  The certificate on all iPads expire 3-2-23 so its good.  

sillylilly
Here to help

I just discovered something interesting that might be related to this problem.  When I check on DEVICES under the SYSTEMS MANAGER tab, I only see iPads 1-5 connected and in use.  Ipads 6-10 (the problem iPads) are not showing up as connected although all iPads are managed through Meraki.  When I go into the SM app on iPads 6-10, it shows them CONNECTED, ENROLLED, and COMPLIANT so why aren't the new apps downloading?  Again - this issue is mind boggling!

sillylilly
Here to help

I also can't get iPads 6-10 to CHECK IN and the last check in occurred in March which was the last time I downloaded new apps.

sillylilly
Here to help

The Profiles won't update either.  The last date updated was April 22.  I tried reinstalling missing but it tells me nothing is missing.  So why won't it update to todays date?

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

Usually if an iPad isn't updating there is an issue with it connecting to the network. How are these iPads connecting to the internet? 

Is there anything on these iPads that stops you from resetting them?

At this point it would probably be a quicker fix to reset them and see if they behave normally in Meraki.

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

Thank you for your response.  I made sure they were all connected to the same WIFI.  The new apps I downloaded showed up enqueued in the Meraki app on each of the devices.  I think I found a solution though.  I will post later if it works.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are they connected to the wifi?, if you have bundled wifi settings into a profile with other settings this can cause issues. Wifi settings should always have their own profile.  See my example below.

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 8.58.44 AM.png

Yes all iPads were connected to the same WIFI.  There is no bundle.  Thank you for your response.

AmyReyes
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @sillylilly, you mentioned you don't have the account number, but you can still call in to Meraki Support and either wait on the line or put 00000 to get through. I think working with support would be best at this point if you're still having trouble. They can figure out what's going on here 😃 Good luck!

Hi AmyReyes, thank you for your support.  I tried both.   I was dropped if I stayed on the line without entering an account number.  Then I called back and entered a series of zeros but was told that was an invalid account number.  I used to be able to get through customer support but no longer with their new system.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! I have shared this with our support team, and someone is looking into this. 

sillylilly
Here to help

UPDATE:  Thanks to all that tried to help me figure this out but the issue was bigger than I had hoped.  I found my answer and posted the link below.  I hope that if anyone else comes to this forum looking for answers, they may find the solution here.  What I ended up doing was deleting the Meraki app from the device and removing the device from Meraki System Manager (the idea of doing this was as scary as throwing my car keys into a lake and hoping I could find them later).   Once the device was free from Meraki, I then entered the iTunes store to reinstall the Meraki app on the device.   From the Meraki System Manager, I had to reinstall the device by clicking Add Device, and using the cue reader on the Meraki app, they were able to reinstall the device.  After accomplishing that, I had to reinstall and/or update all the apps on the device.  All this took almost a full day.   I only have 4 more devices to go!              

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Profiles_and_Settings/Managed_device_does_not_receive_deployed_a...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels