Android profile to disable factory reset does not work

Solved
HiroY
Here to help

Android profile to disable factory reset does not work

I have an android profile to disable factory reset but it seems that I can still perform a factory reset. 

I confirmed that the correct tags are assigned to the profile and the actual device. Tried it twice on a Pixel 4a and 5a -- same results.

Can anyone else confirm if it's happening on their end? If so, this is a major security concern for us...  

1 Accepted Solution

Update: I was able to get this resolved after calling support. It appears that there are two places where you can disable factory reset for Android profiles. One is under Android Device Owner, and the other is under Android Restrictions. The former didn't work for me, but the latter option did the trick.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are your devices in Device Owner mode?

You can't stop a low-level factory reset, but you can stop the one the users can initiate from the phone's software interface.

Sorry, forgot to mention that. Yes, the devices are in Device Owner mode and running Android 12 with the latest patches.

In the past, going the UI route to factory reset would have prevented the user from doing so, but it doesn't seem to prevent that now.

Update: I was able to get this resolved after calling support. It appears that there are two places where you can disable factory reset for Android profiles. One is under Android Device Owner, and the other is under Android Restrictions. The former didn't work for me, but the latter option did the trick.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels